Friday, December 31, 2010

The Best of 2010 and My 2011 Kitchen Resolutions

I thought it might be fun to showcase my top posts from this year, as well as several resolutions I have. By resolutions, what I really mean is that I resolve to try the linked recipes and ideas, because they’re brilliant! And maybe I’ll even put my own spin on them!

Bakingdom’s Top Posts of 2010

Homemade "Fauxstess" Cupcakes

In honor of this year’s first day of school, I wanted to make something that reminded me of school lunches and after-school snacks. What’s more memorable than finding a special treat from your mom at lunch? Something like a Hostess cupcake! Or, in this case, a vegan “fauxstess” cupcake!

9. Mexican Hot Chocolate Donuts with Toasted Marshmallow Frosting

Delish Mexican Hot Chocolate Donuts

The very first recipe I made in my brand new donut pan!

8. Sweet Maple Nut Cake

Sweet Maple Nut Cake

This has all of the best flavors of fluffy pancakes rolled up into a delicious cake!

7. Whimsical Eggnog Christmas Cake

Festive Eggnog Christmas Cake

This cake was inspired by the idea of turning something I don’t like at all, eggnog, into something I love: eggnog cake! And a little Seuss-ical flair never hurts!

6. Inside the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

123.2/365 Hogwarts

Part of my 30th birthday gift this year was a trip to the brand new Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Here, I give tips, tricks, and advice for a better Potter experience!

5. Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice…From Teacup to Cupcake: Vanilla Chai Tea Cupcakes

Vanilla Chai Tea Cupcakes

I love chai tea. Like, really. Like, you know how some people can’t go on without their coffee or something int hem dies? Yeah. me. Only with chai. And now with chai cupcakes.

4. My New Favorite Cupcake: Watermelon!

Mmmm!

These are soft, sweet, and scrumptious (yes, I said scrumptious). The frosting is fluffy and creamy, while the cake is moist and velvety. I am still having an affair with this cupcake (I’ve been cheating on chocolate, yikes!).

3. Tootsie Roll Modeling Chocolate on Steampunk Cupcakes

Steampunk Cupcakes

A fondant alternative that’s easy to get and easy to use! Plus, a tutorial for making your own steampunk top hats and goggles!!

2. A Fun, Festive Halloween Chocolate Orange Layer Cake

10-layer Chocolate Orange Cake

This, my friends, is a chocolate orange layer cake. It has chocolate layers. It has orange layers. It has rich chocolate filling and orange buttercream frosting. It has dark chocolate ganache on top. And it was totally fun to make!!

1. Butterbeer?! Oh Yes, Friends! Butterbeer!!

Homemade Butterbeer

This is, by far, my favorite treat I’ve ever made (and your’s too, apparently!)! I was lucky enough to try the real stuff at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter this summer. Their recipe is approved by JK Rowling herself, so you know it’s the right stuff! That recipe is what I have based my own recipe on, and I think it tastes just like it! (Harry Potter is very popular, huh?) ;)

My 10 New Year Kitchen Resolutions

10. Bake at 350‘s sugar cookie icings and decorating techniques. Her work is beautiful, and I think her recipe sounds fool-proof! Can’t wait to see if I can make anything even half as charming as her!

9. Perfecting Tartelette’s French Macarons I will do it this year! Wel…I’ll try! :)

8. Annie’sFrench Onion Soup Um…hello?! Yum!

7. Brown Eyed Baker’s Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Three of the best cookies in one? Yes, please!

6. Joy the Baker’s Barbecue Buttermilk Onion Rings My husband will be thanking me for this!

5. Bakerella’sBrownie Pecan Pie Holy. Moly.

4. Two Peas and Their Pod’s Chocolate Caramel Cookies with Sea Salt I haven’t been able to stop thinking about these since I first stumbled onto them!

3. Picky Palate’sChorizo and Italian Sausage Stuffed Shells This will be made soon. Very soon.

2. The Pioneer Woman’sCinnamon Rolls What is there to say?!

1. I Am Baker’s Heart Cake Just go look at this! You’ll agree, it’s a must try!

What are your kitchen resolutions for the New Year? Are you finally going to try your hand at fondant? Or maybe your first layer cake? Will you make homemade pasta for the first time? I’d love to hear about what you want to try!

Happy New Year, everyone!!

1 Maria December 31, 2010 at 10:19 am

Great list! I hope you try the cookies and enjoy them! They are one of our favorites. Happy New Year!

2 bridget {bake at 350} December 31, 2010 at 10:52 am

WOW! Your sweets are AMAZING!!!

Happy 2011!

3 debbie koenig December 31, 2010 at 10:59 am

I'm a new reader, and I have to say: Holy cow, that's an impressive year! You do such beautiful, and inspired, work. My efforts at decorating baked goods are embarrassing in comparison. (Seriously, I stink at anything requiring precision.) Happy new year!

4 Scarletta @ Scarletta Bakes December 31, 2010 at 12:52 pm

My favorite was a toss up between your Mexican Hot Chocolate Doughnuts and your Steampunk Cupcakes. I can't wait to see what you come up with in 2011! Cheers!

5 Amanda December 31, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Here I was oohhing and aahhhinh over your list… and then see a sweet shout out to me… YOU BLESS ME!! How kind of you! Love your creativity and style girl!!

6 Darla December 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm

@Maria – I can't wait to make them! Not to mention the million other things from your blog!

@Bridget – Thank you! That's an incredible compliment coming from someone with your tremendous talent! :) Happy New year to you too!

@Debbie – Thank you! I hope you find some inspiration here to give decorating a try! I try to do occasional stuff that is elegant but not overwhelmingly difficult.

@Scarletta – Thanks! :) I had so much fun with both of those! I'm jonsein' for more donuts too…I may have to break the pan out again soon! Happy New Year!

@Amanda – I find your work incredibly inspiring! In a round about way, you inspired my two toned layer cakes! I wasn't confident enough to try one of your cakes with a shape inside, so I went for color instead! So thank YOU! :)

Happy New Year to you all!

7 Anonymous December 31, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I have just been given a pasta machine by my mother-in-law today so that's going to take some practice.

Loving your work from across the globe.

8 Stephanie December 31, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I'm going for artisan breads this year!!

Love your goal list

9 netflixandnutella January 2, 2011 at 12:44 am

they have butterbear there!!!? no way! your eggnog cake looks straight out of a dr seuss book. very creative!

10 alethea January 2, 2011 at 9:29 am

OMG!! I just found your blog and I have looked at every single post you have done and I feel like I have gained 20kilos just reading it!! LOL!! Your creations are amazing!!! Has given me lots of ideas for my sons birthday coming up in a couple of weeks!! I look forward to seeing what you bake this year!!

11 Annie January 3, 2011 at 2:06 am

My New Year's baking resolution: Use my Cricut Cake. :) AND I'm thinking of baking through Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" the way Julie Powell cooked through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." …maybe I'll accomplish at least one of those. ;)

By the way, I've done #5 and #2 on your to-do list. Both VERY VERY worth it.

12 Kori January 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Wow, I just came across your blog and am so excited! Your recipes and cakes and everything look absolutely amazing! Can't wait to follow :)