Friday, December 3, 2010

Tootsie Roll Modeling Chocolate on Steampunk Cupcakes

With holiday season in full swing, I’ve been getting a lot of questions and comments about fondant. A lot of people are either intimidated by it, or disgusted by it. I can understand both points…if you’ve never worked with it, it’s kind of scary, and a lot of fondant tastes awful! Well, before I get into today’s post, I do have to say:

1. Fondant is fun! It’s like playing with play-do or clay. Don’t be scared to try it, because you can make things as simple or as elaborate as your patience, time, and skill will let you. And practice really does make perfect.

2. Marshmallow fondant (MMF) tastes nice. I hate “real” fondant. Even when it’s homemade, “normal” fondant is just sickeningly sweet and basically flavorless, but MMF, while still quite sweet, has a nice flavor, and can be altered. I love adding a little lemon extract to mine.

Those two points being made, I know that there are some people who still aren’t interested in fondant, even if they do want something sculpted for a cake or cupcake. It may be that they don’t have time to make fondant from scratch, or they just don’t want to. And if that’s the case, and you hate the flavor of store bought fondant, what can you do? I think I may have an answer, but another reason I wanted to experiment with fondant alternatives is the humidity here. My fondant tends to just melt and sweat…it’s so sad.

I’ve been thinking about those issues for a few weeks now, and I’ve come up with a partial answer. Besides fondant, there is modeling chocolate. I’ve never worked with modeling chocolate, although I have a recipe for making my own, and obviously, it would be more limited than fondant, as it’s already brown, so coloring it is basically out the window. But it can be painted with food coloring and luster dust, so I thought it’d be a good jumping off point to finding fondant alternatives. Whenever I thought of it, my mind kept going to candy. I thought that there might be a fun option, that’s readily available and easy to use: like tootsie rolls.

Admittedly, I couldn’t find them anywhere on my island. Tootsie rolls! Nowhere! But the hubster recently had to do a little traveling, so he grabbed a couple of bags for me to experiment with. Man, am I glad that he did! The results turned out so fun!

See? Didn’t they?! I know it probably made sense to do something holiday themed, but I decided to make steampunk themed cupcakes, because…well…I wanted to! I love steampunk stuff, and there really aren’t a whole lot of steampunk themed cupcakes out there, but also because the brown color wouldn’t be much of a hindrance with them. I kept things relatively simple with just an adorable top hat and goggles, accented with little golden gears. Is it wrong of me to say that I freaking love how they turned out?! Seriously, I just think they’re so cute! Plus, they were shockingly fast, once I figured out just what I wanted to do!

By the way, those perfectly steampunked cupcake cups came from (where else?) Bake It Pretty! I was a little worried at first that they would be too tough to get the cupcakes out of, but they peeled away beautifully (and in one piece)! Plus, you don’t need a muffin pan to use them! Just space them evenly on a rimmed baking sheet, fill them with two tablespoons of your favorite cupcake or muffin batter, and bake normally! Aren’t they the cutest?!

As for the cupcakes themselves, as well as the frosting, I just made my favorite chocolate cupcake (which is also vegan/dairy-free!). **Please be aware that tootsie rolls are not vegan, however they are gluten-free.**

Anyway, back to our tootsie roll “modeling chocolate,” these were really easy to work with, and came ready to be shaped! It’s still nice and warm where I live, so my tootsie rolls were ready to work with, but you may need to soften yours up. I don’t recommend microwaving them, as they melt pretty easily, but simply rolling one between your warm hands is enough to soften them to a workable state.

For my steampunk top hats, I rolled a tootsie roll into a ball (be sure to have confectioners’ sugar on hand to prevent sticking), then lengthened it into a top heavy column shape. To flatten the top and bottom, I just stood the “column” on end and pressed it gently into the countertop with a flat object.

Personally, I like my top hats a little wonky, so I flattened them at an angle, but you could certainly do something a little more traditional. Next, I rolled half of a tootsie roll into a little ball and flattened it completey. This made my hat’s brim. I used a tiny bit of water to stick the 2 pieces together, then I curved the sides of the brim up to give the hat a little more character, but these weren’t done just yet.

What’s a steampunk top hat without goggles? I used the other half of the tootsie roll from the brim to roll out a little rope, then I pressed the rounded end of a modeling tool in to make the “eyes.” You could use a clean pencil eraser or other similar object to achieve the same effect. Next I made two tiny little balls, which I flattened slightly, to press into the eye sockets. Finally, I finished them off with a little luster dust. I used silver for the “lenses” of the goggles, and copper for the straps.

If you’ve never used luster dust, it’s very, very easy. Just add a small amount of clear extract (I used clear vanilla) to a tiny but of dust, and paint away!

Actually, I found it easier to paint the goggles after attaching them to the top hat (probably because I’m impatient and didn’t want to wait for them to dry). If you don’t feel steady handed enough to do this, then you can paint them separately and attach them once they’re dry. You’ll also notice in this photo that I added some little seams and “stitches” around the hat. I just used a toothpick to gently draw the seams in, then pressed it into the hat along the seam to create the stitches.

I also added some little golden gears to my cupcakes (you can see my hat seams much better here…they really finished the hats off, don’t you think?). For the gears, I just followed the same steps as I did for making the hat brim, except I cut little squares out of the edges to give it the gear shape, and little triangles out of the centers to lighten them up a bit and make them a little more realistic. Finally, I painted them with gold luster dust.

I really love these cupcakes! It’s so hard to find steampunk cupcakes anywhere, and I was inspired to make them after reading this post over on Epbot a few weeks ago. If you love steampunk, you have to check out Jen’s other posts! All in all, I had a blast making these! Sadly, the tootsie rolls held up to the humidity here only slightly better than fondant does, but not much, so I’m still on the hunt for the perfect, tasty sculpting media to work with in higher humidity climates, but for everyone else: if you don’t want to make fondant yourself, tootsie rolls are an excellent alternative! I’m thinking starburst candies (or flavored and vanilla tootsie rolls) probably work great too, and they can add so much lovely color! If anyone tries them out, let me know what you think!

Don’t limit yourself to my design either!! Go wild! I’d love to see what you guys come up with! Have fun and enjoy!

1 Dori December 3, 2010 at 9:00 am

Um…you had me at "chocolate" and "steampunk cupcakes"…

The hats are the most adorable things I've ever seen!

Interestingly enough, I'm about to attempt modeling chocolate for the first time this week…but since I need both light and dark browns (monkey cake) I was going to see how butterscotch chips handled in the recipe that I have. I may just have to buy a bag of tootsie rolls as a fall back plan! :)

2 Monica Adriana December 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

oh my God, Darla..
this is soooo effin cute, especially the hat part!
how could you be so talented?
nice to finally found your incredible blog.. :)

3 Smitten Sugar December 3, 2010 at 11:58 am

so freaking cute!

4 Scarletta December 3, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I LOVE it!

I am obsessed with anything steampunk-themed, mainly because I think I just enjoy saying 'steampunk'.

I also really enjoyed your thoughts on trouble-shooting with fondant, since I have had to change the ways that I bake after moving to the uber-dry desert of the southwest.

Thanks for another fabulous post!

5 bttrflybabydoll December 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm

These are ridiculously cute! So awesome! I would never have thought of using tootsie rolls!

6 Maria December 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Those are so cute!!

7 makeupandpearls December 3, 2010 at 2:11 pm

holy wow, those are awesome!

8 • friX • December 3, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Wow, impressive !

9 sugarswings December 3, 2010 at 4:05 pm

wow, I'm not a huge steampunk fan, but these look AWESOME!! simple but so fun at the same time. Great job!

10 Liana10 December 3, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Chapeau!!

11 JehanP December 3, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Absolutely adorable!! I love this!!

12 kita December 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm

These are awesome!

13 Andrea December 3, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Wow! I'm very impressed! I would like to have such a talent! Could you tell me what is the frosting?

14 Anonymous December 4, 2010 at 12:45 am

Amazing!

15 Lauren Grace December 4, 2010 at 6:38 am

Just found your blog – amazing talent! I'm trying your halloween layer cake next year for sure :)

16 Stella December 4, 2010 at 11:15 am

Amazing, wish I had your mind's eye in reference to my hands (smile)!

17 Christy December 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm

these are adorable…you should be proud! popping by from foodgawker

18 Candi December 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm

LOVE these!!! We went to Dragon*con this year in Atlanta and there were tons of Steampunk people dressed to the hilt. What a great cupcake!!!

19 sarah j. gim December 4, 2010 at 4:50 pm

these were up on tastespotting… cannot BELIEVE that is TOOTSIE ROLL!!!

20 whisk-kid December 4, 2010 at 6:30 pm

These are amazing! Great tutorial!

21 SteelCityFlan December 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Marzipan! It's wonderful for sculpting figures and it can be used just like fondant to cover cakes. I don't know if it's any better for the humidity, but it certainly tastes a lot better. These are absolutely lovely, great job! :)

22 Lora December 4, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Steampunkalicious! Really fab cupcakes.

23 Amy December 5, 2010 at 12:19 am

These are great! I'll bet you could also use Frooties to get the different colors.

24 Jenn December 5, 2010 at 12:33 am

Those are gorgeous! I might have to try some tootsie roll modeling chocolate. I love using modeling chocolate instead of fondant because it tastes so much better. Have you tried using white modeling chocolate? That way you can tint it to whatever colour you want.

25 lonnieboepedersen December 5, 2010 at 7:51 am

Love your blog and thank you for your thorough description! :-)

26 Kitty December 5, 2010 at 4:19 pm

The 'seams' on the hats really do finish it off! I love how the Tootsie Roll looks just like old leather with this treatment, fabulous!
Oh… if I could only find Tootsie Rolls here in France…
Thanks for the great tutorial!

27 Jordan December 6, 2010 at 10:00 am

starbursts are easy to model with too :)

28 Anonymous December 6, 2010 at 7:03 pm

How did you get the gear golden? Hmmmmmm?

29 Darla December 6, 2010 at 7:09 pm

@Anon. – I just used some gold luster dust. Thanks for asking!

30 BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms December 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm

These are utterly fantastic! I love the details, esp. the seams on the hat, but the fact that they're deliciously edible as well as looking fantastic is a huge plus.

31 Vernon December 10, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Brilliant!

32 The Food Hunter December 10, 2010 at 6:30 pm

These have got to be the cutest cupcakes I've ever seen.

33 Yiskah Sarah December 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I've made roses out of starburst before, but never waited long enough to see how they hold up… always ate them soon after! lol
I have pictures.. but I don't know how to send them

34 Gin Di Battista October 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Do you have a blog or Flickr with the pictures? I’d love to see them. :-)

35 Sharon December 13, 2010 at 10:13 am

Followed you here from Epbot. LOVE the steampunk cupcakes. The color of the Tootsie Roll is perfect for the leather look. Stitching on the hat is just the right touch.

Well done!

Sharon's Edible Art

36 JenT December 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Love these! So cute and detailed! If you can find them, tootsie rolls also come in other flavors/colors: Cherry, Lemon, Orange, Vanilla, and Lime. http://www.tootsie.com/products.php?pid=165
They aso make something called a Frootie that comes in Green Apple, Grape, Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, Strawberry, Watermelon, Root Beer, Cran-Blueberry & Strawberry Lemonade. http://www.tootsie.com/products.php?pid=149

Great work!

37 Feuercrux January 1, 2011 at 11:26 am

How did you make the black frosting? I've tried so many times before but mine always comes up more grey than black.

I'll be trying these for certain, so very pretty.

38 Darla January 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

@Feuercrux – The frosting on these particular cupcakes isn't actually tinted black. It's just a basic chocolate frosting, but I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder to give it that rich, almost black look.

For black frosting, though, I do have a few tips:

1. Use gel coloring. liquid coloring doesn't come anywhere near as dark as gel coloring can be.

2. You really do need to use a lot. Depending on how much frosting you're making, you will need far, far more black food coloring than you ever use of other colors.

3. Make it at least one day before you need to use it. The colors will deepen overnight, giving you a blacker black.

I hope this is helpful!

39 Gin Di Battista October 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Thank you for the tips. :-) I always have trouble with the black frosting.

I’d rather not use food coloring if I can help it and the idea of Special Dark Cocoa Powder didn’t occur to me!

40 Emily January 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I adore these cupcakes. So much so that I probably wouldn’t be able to eat them if they were set before me.

Also, you inspired me to do some modeling with tootsie rolls yesterday. One of the girls in my dorm building had a birthday yesterday and the cake got smooshed a bit in the middle, but I remembered this post and I ended up making a rather large tootsie roll octopus to cover up the mess. It went over brilliantly. Thanks much for the tip.

41 Melissa March 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Wow these are incredible! Do you think the fruit flavored tootsie rolls would work just as well?

42 Rachel May 16, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I was just wondering how much ahead of time you can make and store these. I am planning a steampunked themed suprise bash for my hubby and these would be perfect fit instead of a cake.

43 Darla May 17, 2011 at 7:43 am

You could make and freeze the cupcakes up to a week early and freeze them, allow them to thaw completely before frosting (the frosting could probably be made a day or two early). As for the tootsie roll pieces, it just depends on how humid it is where you live. It’s very humid (like it is where I live), then I wouldn’t make them more than 24 hours in advance. If it’s cool and dry, you could probably get away with at least 48 hours. I’ve only made them as I needed them, so I’m not 100% sure how they hold up over time. I hope this is helpful.

44 Rachel May 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm

This has been very helpful thankyou. I can’t wait to make these, i’ll try to post a picture of how mines turn out :) Oh and im in california and its not too humid so hopefully the toppings will stay good.

45 Laura November 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm

You like Harry Potter, Doctor Who, AND Steampunk? You are the coolest chick, ever. :)

46 tanya walton February 5, 2012 at 4:02 am

SOUNDS FABO…
Could u be able to send me this recipe with alternative ingredients for Australian food/confectionery please? As well as your weight converted to our Australian or English weights and what not please…I would VERY much like to give this to my parents for Valentines day.

Thanking You,
Tanya Walton

P.S May chocolate live FOEVER!!!! lol

47 Darla February 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Hi Tanya, I’m not sure what the Australian food substitutions would be, as I’m not sure which ones you do not have access to. If you want to send me a list of ingredients that you need, I can do my best to see what a good replacement is. As for the weights and measures, you can visit me Weight Conversions page to find out equivalents. I hope this is helpful!

48 Nicole August 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I was wondering if you could tell us specifically what colors/brands you used for the gear and top hat?

49 Darla August 4, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Hi Nicole, I used exactly what’s pictured in the first photo, as well as the instructional photos: just plain chocolate tootsie rolls. I painted them gold with the luster dust mentioned within the post for the gears. It’s great because they’re surprisingly versatile.

50 finn October 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

hey i would LOVE to have the recipe you used in this!!

51 Darla October 22, 2012 at 7:30 am
52 Rune February 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Hey, I was just wondering – I’m trying to make these cupcakes sooner rather than later (like in the next day or two) and I can’t find/afford luster dust to get it in time. Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

53 Trish February 15, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Did you know that tootsie rolls come in colors too?
9though I think they are under a different name ) you can buy a bag of plain vanilla, or a mixed assortment of various pastel colors!