I’m taking a break from baking today because I made something recently that I love so much…I just have to share it!
Some of you may remember the clock that I made last year. I had decided at the time that I wanted a sweets themed kitchen, and this was my first addition. I kept seeing cute cupcake clocks all over the internet, and I knew it was something I could try, so I did. And I love it. This clock is the inspiration for my cookbook stand’s colors.
After my clock was done, I set out looking for other accessories that were just perfect, and I’ve found a lot of pretty, whimsical stuff, but one thing I couldn’t find was a cookbook stand that went with everything else. That’s when I set out to find a way to make it myself. Eventually, I found a stand that had a great shape and i knew I could spruce it up. Plus, it was on super clearance, so I couldn’t pass it up.
This is how my cookbook stand started out. Not, in my opinion, a very attractive stand. Since I couldn’t find a stand that made me happy, though, this one was going to get a makeover. It was very dark, and the rooster doesn’t match anything in my house, let alone my kitchen, but I felt like it had a lot of potential…with the right paint job, and if I could figure out how to get rid of that rooster. I love the swirls on it, so I knew I could make it work.
This is a close up of the ugly rooster before I got crafty. You can tell this was a bargain basement clearance find…just look at the scuffs and dust. Yuck. I cleaned it up and sanded the bumps out of it before getting started. It’d be a lot harder to clean all that up after the new additions.
Voila! Now that’s more like it! For the background, I just rolled out a piece of clay and cut a circle in it using a stencil. I needed a four-inch circle in order to cover the rooster perfectly, so I cut it slightly larger to allow me room to trim the edge with a pair of scalloped scrapbook scissors. Once that was done, I rolled out more clay for the cupcake. Now, here’s where I sort of cheated…I used a cookie cutter to cut the cupcake shape out. And it worked perfectly! Once the shape was cut, I cut the “frosting” off the top and gave it a rounded, fluffy looking bottom edge that could overlap the top edge of the bottom part of the cupcake a bit and give it more depth. The cherry and sprinkles were super simple…just rolling bits of clay into the appropriate shapes. I attached the whole piece to the stand by threading wire through the clay (and patching more clay on for extra strength) on the back of the piece, then twisted the wire around the rooster.
Originally, the cookbook stand had these heavy, metal balls hanging from chains. These are to place over the pages of smaller cookbook to prevent them from sliding closed, or to stop the wind turning the pages. I had planned on leaving them as-is, but once I had the main cupcake done, it inspired me to try doing something cute with the weights too.