Friday, April 15, 2011

Celebrating Harry Potter Day with my Favorite Craft of All Time: Handmade Harry Potter Apron

[UPDATE: Find my original Harry Potter inspired Hogwarts house aprons in Bakingdom’s Etsy shop!]

I know that things around here have been a little slow, and today is no different, but I’ve been taking the last couple of weeks easy as I first waited for the hubster to get home, and then spent time celebrating when my family was reunited. I have one more non-baking related, but still super stinking fun post before I get back into lots of tasty sweets and fun ideas.

As I’m sure you’re all quite aware of by now, I’m a huge Harry Potter geek. I have no shame about this…no need to join HP Anonymous. I embrace my love for the wizarding world and want nothing more than to show it and share it. If you’re a fan like me, then you know that today is the U.S. release date of the first of the last two films: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (HP7.1). I’m so excited to watch this film again…it’s one of the best of the series thus far. As an avid reader and fan of the books, you can trust me when I say that this is a great adaptation. Those who complain about the films in comparison to the books have just forgotten to take things with a grain of salt. The movies will always be less than the books, simply because they can’t possibly include every last detail, but as far as adaptations go, this one is among the best.

My movie is still in the mail, as I type, but I’m hoping it’ll arrive today and I can cuddle up on the couch with my family and sip butterbeer while we enjoy the movie together. Fortunately, I have all weekend to watch it over and over again! :)

To celebrate the release of the film, I decided to make myself something. It’s something I’ve wanted for a very long time: a Harry Potter apron. As someone who (obviously) cooks and bakes a lot, I really do wear aprons all the time. Plus, I love them. I have seven aprons…well, eight, including the Harry Potter apron that I’m about to share with you. Two of them are store bought, mass produced (but still very loved), four are handmade etsy purchases, and the remaining four were all handmade by me.

I searched everywhere for an adorable HP apron to buy, but no luck. I knew I’d have to make it myself, so I went hunting for the perfect fabrics. I had decided I wanted a Gryffindor themed apron, because the majority of my favorite characters are in Gryffindor – Ron, Neville, Fred and George. I also love Ravenclaw (and Luna), and may just be making a blue and bronze apron soon. No matter how hard I looked though, I simply couldn’t find the perfect scarlet and gold fabric that had the right whimsy to it. Clearly my design plans needed to change.

That’s when I came up with my “uniform” design (Loki always watches over my craft projects to make sure I don’t screw up). I decided to design the apron around the Hogwarts school uniforms – gray on top and black on the bottom. The gray would represent the sweaters worn by the students, while the black represented the pants/skirts they wear. While he was in the States, my amazing hubs did a fantastic job finding the perfect fabrics for my apron. To make this apron, I followed the same steps that I used when making these handmade aprons.

To make the apron Gryffindor themed, I trimmed it with scarlet and gold grosgrain ribbon and a gorgeous Gryffindor patch.

I also wanted the apron to be girly, so in addition to the skirted bottom, I added sweet little bows to each of the pockets.

Taking the girly factor even further, I stitched alternating pieces of glittery scarlet and gold tulle to the base of the skirt.

I searched high and low for a great Gryffindor patch when I decided to make this. There are a lot available on eBay, as well as Amazon, but I decided to order mine directly from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was the most authentic and looked like the highest quality. I spent a little more on it ($6.95 plus shipping), but it was worth it. I’m really pleased with it, and I ordered a Hogwarts patch and the other house patches at the same time. The patch is beautifully made and heavy duty…definitely great quality. It is iron on, which is great, but I still stitched it into place as well.

TADA!! My finished apron (yes, I actually have a Gryffindor neck tie…you’re not really surprised, though, are you?)! I love my new apron sooooooooo much!! Everything about it makes me happy. I love that it’s clearly, obviously, Harry Potter themed, and it calls forth visions of Hogwarts school uniforms, but it’s also girly with the little bows and touches of shimmery tulle. I sort of feel sorry for all of my other aprons…they won’t get worn a whole lot now.

I’m also celebrating the movie release today by making some of the treats that I made back in November, when the movie first hit theaters. If you’re a big Harry Potter fan like me, be sure to check them out!

First up is Harry’s favorite dessert: Treacle Tarts. I’m not making these tonight, because I was in the mood for chocolate, but I have made these several times over the last few months, and they’re always a hit. Plus, they’re really very easy to make. Definitely serve them with fresh whipped cream…it’s wonderful!

For our HP7.1 viewing party, I’m making my cauldron cakes. How can I resist? I love these things so much…from the awesome, rich chocolaty-ness of them to the adorable little feet and sweet chocolate handles! I always have so much fun making these.

Finally, I’m making my favorite drink ever: Butterbeer! This stuff is delicious, and it really does taste just like the real butterbeer that they sell at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (plus, you can spice it up for adults with a touch of rum)!

I know not everyone gets as excited about all things Harry Potter as I do, but it’s really a fun way to kick off the weekend, and even if you don’t watch the film, you’ll still love the treats! Enjoy!

Great Harry Potter recipes from Bakingdom:

Homemade utterbeer

Double Double Chocolate Cauldron Cakes

Harry’s Favorite Treacle Tartlets

Honeydukes Candyfloss Cupcakes

Harry Potter Sugar Cookies

Hogwarts House Pride Spice Cake

Read about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter here:

Inside the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Apron designed and made by Darla

1 Julia April 15, 2011 at 9:30 am

I LOVE this. I want to go home and make this apron right away. Oh my goodness. This is the best ever!

I may be a little bit of a Harry Potter nerd. I can’t help it.

2 Heather T April 15, 2011 at 9:56 am

I LOVE this apron….i’m in love with the Harry Potter books too, and this is totally adorable. you rock!

3 Tosca April 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

I really love you apron, whish I could sew
Go Gryffindor :)

4 lora April 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

Fantastic job on the apron. The tulle addition rocks!

5 Beth April 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

Can I come live in your kitchen? :)
LOVE the apron, you did a fabulous job!

6 Lizy B April 15, 2011 at 11:57 am

Oh my goodness!!! Can I come over for the party!!! I need to make that apron today…but I also need to make 11 dozen cookies, so I may have to do that first….(but I’ll be watching a HP marathon all day while I bake..).
Love, love, love! Mind if I post a link on my blog today?

7 Darla April 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Of course you can join our party…I have a feeling it’d be a long trip to get here, though! :) I would be honored if you linked me, thanks for asking! :)

8 Mary Anne April 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I am in love with your apron!!
I used to have a few aprons, but they got lost when we moved (**cough cough eight years ago**) and I haven’t gotten a new one (I often wear an XL old flannel shirt, which has the bonus of covering my arms, because I’m a bit of a sloppy cook). I have been meaning to make one, even bought a pattern a while back, but haven’t been inspired. Well, consider me inspired!! And even though I’m a lover of all things HP (just got back from Target with my movie!) I might go with a blue and orange theme, the colors of my husband baseball team, instead . . .

9 laura April 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm

love love love this entire post! and now i’m incredibly thristy and thinking that only butterbeer could quench it…

10 Megan Waltz April 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I love this apron! I WANT this apron!! I NEEEEEED this apron!!! *eh-hem* Oh wait, what? I…I said that out loud?? I’m sorry :) It’s just the tulle…it’s the tulle that got me. Promise you’ll wear it at your viewing party!

11 Andrea April 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm

So are you taking orders for that apron??? Because I would definitely buy one if you did!!!! Unfortunately, I lack the sewing skills that it would take to make an apron at that magnitude of awesome. I do love me some HP and I’m planning on watching it tonight or tomorrow (depends on when my hubs let me… he’s not much of a fan). Also… I have that Gryffindor tie too! I used to wear it all the time at my old watitressing job (neck ties were part of the uniform so I figured that I might as well wear something I love!) I got many compliments on it :) Hope you have a blast at your viewing party tonight!!

12 Dori April 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Oh my goodness…I can’t breath….the apron is Awesome! And the final modeling picture is priceless. Have a great party!

13 Melinda April 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Oh my goodness. That apron is ADORABLE. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan, too – I love that you’re making all these treats for a viewing party! I don’t have the time for one with this release, but I’m going all out for when Part 2 comes out in theaters!! :)

14 Tanya April 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Oh my potterness!! So amazing!! My sister made Harry Potter aprons last year for HP’s birthday (no not a Harry Potter themed birthday – an actual party celebrating Harry’s birthday). Here’s the link: http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/2010/08/harry-potter-party-part-i.html
But your’s is sooooo fancy! I want one!

15 marissa April 15, 2011 at 5:22 pm

OH MY GOSH I am in love this is so freaking cute. I’m a potter crazy obsessed person. I’ll definitely be featuring this next week on my blog. I so need to make myself one!

16 tanya April 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm

hey now, i showed it to you therefore you need to make one for me too!

17 Britney April 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm

You are so amazing! Its so inspiring and I just love your apron. I went and berough Harry yesterday, I really should have made some Harry treats to watch it. I made your cauldron cakes last year and they are so tasty. I can’t wait to make them again. You are such an inspiration.

18 Karly April 16, 2011 at 10:58 am

Would it be weird if I got down on one knee and proposed? Because I think I love you.

19 Sarah April 16, 2011 at 11:46 am

The day that you posted this is Hermione’s (Emma Watson’s) birthday! I LOVE that apron but I’m in Ravenclaw. You NEED an Etsy shop.

20 Angela S. April 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm

If you were game to make another one of those it would be the perfect birthday present for my Maid of Honor. She would go NUTS over it!! Haha everything on this post is just adorable!

21 yasmeen @ wandering spice April 17, 2011 at 7:18 am

i love everything about this. i didn’t know there was a harry potter day! the apron looks fab, and so do the treats!

i share a birthday with mr. potter, which i geekily admit makes me happy :D

22 Sarah April 17, 2011 at 8:36 am

I also have the same birthday as Harry!

23 Darla April 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

In my best Napoleon Dynamite impression, “LUCKY!” It’s AWFULLY geeky of me, but I’m totally jealous! :D Although, according to Jo Rowling’s timeline, I was born in the same year as Harry…so in my imagination, I totally went to Hogwarts at the same time and expanded the trio to a foursome!

24 Robin April 17, 2011 at 7:32 am

Loved this post! Thanks for the treat tips.

25 Jennifer April 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Love it! I am a huge Potter fan and this is so great…I may have to steal your idea and make my own. My son and I are having a Harry Potter day on Friday and I will be serving Butterbeer in our souvenir mugs. Very cool post.

26 Caroline @ chocolate and carrots April 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I love this!!!! I know what I’m making for all of my harry potter loving friends! :)

27 stephanie April 27, 2011 at 1:18 am

can you make me one and ill buy it from you lol

28 Bake4fun June 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Thank you so much! I just bought the fabric for this today, and can”t wait to make it! Just one question-do you have any rough measurements I could use? Even if just for the skirt part and how wide the bottom of the gray part (the almost upside-down mushroom shape part of the apron) is, it would help a lot. Thanks!

29 Darla June 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Bake4fun – I sent you an email today with a photo attached and some info for you. I hope it’s helpful! :)

30 ericka November 19, 2011 at 2:56 am

is there any way i could get this too i’m in the same predicament

31 Renee Dietzel January 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Omg the apron is absolutely adorable!! I was wondrrimg if you could send me the measurements as well? Thanks so much for sharing your talent!!

Renee D

32 Abby June 20, 2011 at 1:46 pm

This is INSANELY awesome! I love the apron and I might try to copy the idea before my own Potter Party. . . Thanks for sharing!!!

33 Jennifer July 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm

This is beautiful!

34 Rachel July 10, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Not only is your Potter Apron beautiful as a Harry Potter item, but the lines of it in general are just awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing this, its awesome (and I am inspired to take out my machine this week and get to work on the apron I keep putting off). I have also been in the Potter spirit this week & made Butterbeer Cupcakes to celebrate the last movie coming out…. http://ringr.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/butterbeer-cupcakes/

35 Jessica Dell July 13, 2011 at 1:59 am

Could I please just ask you where you got that tie? I’ve always wanted to get one but never found one that was really the right colors. Yours looks perfect.

Also the apron is incredible. So jealous of your talent.

36 Darla July 13, 2011 at 7:12 am

Hi Jessica, I got mine at Hot Topic. It came with a Gryffindor polo. I got it last year, but I was there last month and they have new, full sized ties that are perfect.

37 Melinda Helms July 13, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I would really love one of these aprons. I already entered the drawing, but it seems that 282 people are a lot! Is there any way I could buy one? I am in college, and don’t exactly have a sewing machine (nor would it do me much help)

38 Darla July 21, 2011 at 11:31 am

Hi Melinda, Sorry for the slow reply. I’m looking into opening an etsy store in order to sell HP aprons (among others). I will add you to a contact list, if you like, and send you an email once the store is up. It may be a few months, but I hope to have it opened soon. :)

39 Laura Cochran September 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Darla, would you mind adding me to the contact list for notifying once your etsy store is open? I love the apron! I’m curious, too – where did you find that tie? Every “officially licensed” one I’m finding for sale is more purple than burgundy. I’m kind of shocked by this!

40 Darla September 19, 2011 at 1:17 am

Hi Laura, I’d be happy to! :)

41 Melinda Helms October 3, 2011 at 5:20 pm

YES! I would love to be on the list so I can buy this!!!! I’m just in love with this. If you could send me the link when you’re ready that would be great!

42 MJ July 14, 2011 at 2:41 am

Wow I love this apron!!! Especially the sparkly netting underneath :) Well done! If you feel like it, check out my blog where I made some really cool HP potion bottles for Halloween and a Gryffindor cloak for my niece a while back. Enjoy the film when it comes out :)

43 Hilary@HGTV July 14, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Darla,

At HGTV we loved your Harry Potter post so much that we featured you in our blog. You have some great images and ideas. Check out the post at http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2011/07/14/harry-potter-7-part-2-premiere-design-for-a-potterhead/. Oh, we love us some HP!

44 Darla July 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

Hi Hilary, I was so honored to see my blog featured on HGTV! Thank you so much for contacting me, and for including me on your website!

45 Carly July 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

This apron is the cutest! I especially love the pockets, awesome design :)

46 Jennifer July 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I LOVE this and I LOVE you for making it!!!! If you ever decide to take orders I would love to buy a Hufflepuff version!

47 Stephanie July 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! So creative and wonderful, beautiful! I’m with bake4fun. I am trying to figure out the skirt portion that you added. Could I perhaps get a copy of the e-mail you sent? Love your blog!

48 Darla July 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Hi Stephanie. that’s not a problem at all. I’ll find the original one that I sent and forward it to you.

49 Tuti August 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm

amazingly adorable!!!! <3

50 Danielle August 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm

This is absolutely amazing!

I’d love the measurements if that was possible. :)

51 Hollie Pangan August 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Awesome Apron!!! You have the best Harry Potter Ideas!!!

52 Theresa Preece September 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Oh My WOW!!! That is fab! =) Just wondering if you will be making more/ selling these soon?! My 5 yr old plans to go as Harry Potter (since his revelation that like HP, he too has a scar on his forehead under his bangs, lol). This would be so cute to wear along side him. :)

53 Darla September 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hi Theresa, I am planning to start an etsy store, selling aprons, soon. I plan to make an announcement here on the blog when it’s open, but if you’d like a direct email from me, please send me your email address through the contact tab above. :)

54 Nicole W. September 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm

People are going CRaZy for this on Pinterest! Adorable!

55 LilMizzChatterbox September 17, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Wow that is amazing!! It has inspired me to start planning a surprise Harry Potter themed party for my friend! I think I might be a bit mad to attempt it but the recipes on your blog will certainly help! Thanks!

56 jen September 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm

omg. I love this apron so much! My roommate is obsessed with Luna, so I really want to make a Ravenclaw one for her. But, I’m a total newbie when it comes to sewing. Is there any way you could send that email with the measurements to me too? Thanks so much!

57 Darla September 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Hi Jen, I’m in the process of opening an etsy store, selling my aprons. I am planning to sell my TARDIS aprons, and possibly a Dalek design (maybe others, too…who knows?!). The store won’t be up and running for a bit yet, but I’ll make an announcement when it is. :)

58 Nisreen October 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm

hi darla! you are just *BRILLIANT* as Ron would say. you are so creative and have an amazing eye for fun!!! i’d love to know when you will be opening your store, i mean i do need a new apron…can’t imagine better way to bake then with that gryffindor apron! please let me know when your site is up and running :) *also if it isn’t too much to ask, i was hoping in trying my hand at sewing and would love the basic measurments and type of material you used for this :)

59 natalie hacking October 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm

i would also love to be added to the list when orders are being taken on your etsy shop for HP aprons. merci!

60 Jessica October 27, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I would also be interested in knowing when your etsy shop is set up. Your aprons are adorable X3

61 Kate November 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Shut. UP! You. Are. Brilliant. A few tweaks and this will be PERFECT for my own little Harry Potter. Thank You!!!

62 Laura November 8, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’m definitely going to try my hand at this, but with a Slytherin twist. So very adorable, too adorable for words. I just love it!

63 Katira November 17, 2011 at 1:09 am

This is great! I would love to try making this myself, but I don’t think my sewing skills would do it justice…I would love to know when your etsy shop is set up!!

64 Gina November 23, 2011 at 3:57 am

I just finished making one of these for my best friend and it came out SO CUTE! It is different from yours cause the apron I traced from was squared and not rounded. I am had improvise a lot cause your pictures dont give the most detailed instructions (for us noobs lol), but doing this taught me a lot! This is literaly the 3rd project Ive done with a sewing machine (1- curtains, 2- book cover) so when I started I wasnt very sure how it would come out… but I have learned SO much and made an awesome gift (not as cute as yours tho haha). The only thing I just COULD NOT get was how to put the bias tape on the pockets and keep them rounded… it just WOULD NOT work for me… so I made them square-ish lol. I made my own Gryffindor crest cause I didnt preplan this in time to order one… I used red and gold felt and I cut out the crest and lion and used an applique stitch to put it on and it looks AWESOME! :) Thanks so much for posting this tutorial. :)

65 Melanie December 9, 2011 at 1:09 am

Ok, is there pattern or even better a place where I can by one on the aprons!! I love this!!

66 Darla December 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Hi Melanie, I have an Etsy store here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Bakingdom

That’s where I sell the aprons, although, they tend to sell out quickly. :)

67 TMI Craftiness, Tami A December 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thanks for the link for the badges! I couldn’t find them otherwise! I’ve been to WWofHP and this is going to be a perfect gift for my friend this Christmas! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

68 Kita January 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

How did I miss this apron? Its freakin awesome – and I’ll be honest – I’ve never even read the books. (Dont hate me! I will someday – I havent seen the movies either). This is so adorable though and makes me want to up my own ante when I make a new apron next time.

69 Sarah February 27, 2012 at 7:19 am

HI! This is an amazing apron and I want to make one soooooo badly! I have fabric and everything, but I wanted to know if you have some of the measurements and other information… I’m pretty new to sewing but I’ve been able to pull off a few things…. I’m a true Gryffindor at heart and I’m dying to make this, so any help you could give would be appreciated! This is beautiful! :D THANK YOU!

70 Alisha May 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

This is awesome!! Do you have a pattern that you used or anything? I’m going to attempt this but I’m a beginner with sewing sink you have any tips to make it easier is appreciate it. Thanks!

71 Darla May 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

Hi Alisha, I didn’t use a pattern. I just based the shape of the apron on aprons that I already own. There are lots of great apron patterns available at sewing supply stores, though.

72 Elisabeth May 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

Love that apron! wow – if only i could sew like that! so cute :)

73 Lauren(holly potter) June 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

Oh my potterness. I am in love with your apron so much, I am making my mum replicate yours!! (if you don’t mind)
I know I’m a bit late as all the Harry potter movies have finished, but my friends and I are having a Harry potter marathon, and I know what we’ll be eating!!!!!!! (not the apron :D)

It’s never to late for Harry potter!!!!!

74 Lauren August 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Oh My Goodness! you have just made my day. Definately making this wee apron, it’s so adorable! I’ve also been looking for a decent butterbeer recipe for ages. Thank You!

75 Rachel B. September 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

Wow!!!! Just found your site through Pinterest and I am so impressed!!!! I am a huge HP fan (I actually named my firstborn Lily Potter!!) and this inspires me to take up sewing and baking to try to be as crafty a fan as you! Thanks for the great inspiration!

76 Khush September 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm

you wouldn’t happen to want to make another and sell it, would you? I’m not even kidding! I’d do it!

77 Marie December 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

I LOVE your blog! You are truly talented. I found you on Pinterest and decided to make my own. I know you sell them, but I had a blast making mine (which I don’t plan to sell).

You can see mine here if you’d like!

Again, awesome blog!

78 Krisy February 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I LOVE this! I have been TRYING to make one like it for my Aunt (then, hopefully, one for myself). I have wasted YARDS AND YARDS of fabric, LOTS OF TIME, and valuable sanity (that I didn’t have to spare) trying to make the skirt. My efforts have either resulted in insufficient flippiness, or uneven flippiness. So PLEEEEASE email me an idea for how you made the skirt! I’M DYING HERE!

79 Ellie March 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Where can I buy this?! I have a friend who this would be PERFECT for!

80 Jasper April 7, 2013 at 7:47 am

The apron is AWESOME!

I would like to sew one for my friends(for they are Potterheads) but i don’t have an apron to use as a basis. If you may, please give me measurements of the apron you made. Rough measurements would do.

Thank you!

81 Luna June 24, 2013 at 12:20 am

Oh. My. God. This is the best thing ever! My friends and I have a Harry Potter related website, and I post about crafts. I am going to make this and give it to the friend who posts about recipes. And then make one for me. Cause it’s awesome.

82 Julie December 7, 2013 at 2:18 am

You are a genius!!!! Wish I was good at sewing so I could make this.