Saturday, December 24, 2011

Perfectly Pinterest: A Very Merry Harry Christmas Cake

I have a last minute surprise for you guys.

I was inspired by two things for this cake today.

The first was this lovely little snitch ornament on Pinterest.

The second was this AMAZING snow globe cake by Amanda of i am baker.

Okay, so my cake doesn’t have an incredible snow globe inside, but it is a tall, sweet, delicious rice krispy treat cake.

Brilliant idea, using treats for the cake. It was fast and easy to make, and it’s so very yummy.

Anyway, I made this because I’ll be sprawled out on the floor having a pizza picnic dinner and watching a Harry Potter movie marathon with my nephews tonight, and we HAD to have a great dessert.

Plus, I utterly adore the snitch ornaments. They needed to be showcased. :)

Whenever I make Harry Potter treats, I like to do things slightly more rustic than I usually do. I really think that at Hogwarts, even though they could probably make the most incredible cakes ever, I think they would do things simpler, more homespun.

I used a small offset spatula to draw lines in the frosting up the sides of the cake, then I used the spatula again to draw the frosting in a swirl to the center of the cake. Next, a piped a small rosette of froting in the center and dressed the cake up for the holidays with silver and gold edible glitter and lovely silver and gold sugar stars. And, of course, I added my new, glittery golden snitch ornaments using cake wires from Duff (Ace of Cakes), which are sold at Michaels.

The inside of the cake looks a little more elaborate, but because it’s only made of rice krisp treats, it’s actually still simple. I made four batches of treats, and to create the ombre effect, I divided each batch in half and tinted them with red food coloring so that they faded from palest pink to red. By stacking each batch directly on top of one another, the ombre effect is seamless.

As for my snitches, I used this great tutorial from Tiny Apartment Crafts. They were surprisingly easy to make, and they look completely gorgeous when they’re all done. I made three, so far, but I intend to make more. I love how glittery and beautiful they are.

This is one of my favorite cakes ever. It’s beautifully festive and could work wonderfully for any Winter holiday or occasion. And with the addition of the snitches, it’s the perfect Harry Potter Christmas Eve party cake. Plus, using krispy treats made it easy and super fast.

If you need a last minute treat for your holiday table that will really wow everyone, then this one is great…and fast! Enjoy!

Wishing you the very best of holidays! Happy Christmas and be merry!

2 recipes Whipped Vanilla Frosting (Frosting recipe from the post, minus the gingerbread cookies)
4 recipes Rice Krispy Treats

1 Emily ~So Domesticated~ December 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Lovely cake… have yourself a very Merry Christmas!

2 Becca December 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Aww, this is adorable. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy your Harry Potter marathon. The winter and Christmas scenes in all of the movies are stunning, I think.

3 Cookbook Queen December 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Adorable. Merry Christmas, doll!!

4 Kieli Heart December 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm

This is amazing! I never thought you could make a cake out of rice krispy treats! And color them too! I love it! I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing =3

~ Kieli ~

5 Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery December 24, 2011 at 11:59 pm

AWESOME. The snitches are really cute and the ombre effect is beautiful in its simple brilliance.

6 michelle December 25, 2011 at 9:34 am

love it!!! very merry christmas to you!!!

7 Ruthy December 25, 2011 at 10:25 am

Such a cute idea! So pretty. Love the ombre effect with the krispy treats! Merry Harry Christmas!

8 bourbonnatrix December 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

that’s one beautiful cake! merry christmas darla!

9 Cecily December 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Love it.

10 Stephanie December 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Simply amazing!

11 Carol Cross December 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm

A lovely Christmas treat. My son has spent most of the day playing the Harry Potter Lego Books 5-7 Wii game he got for Christmas, so obviously this would go over big here.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Darla. Thanks for all the marvelous creations you have shared with us over the past year. And I can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2012!

12 Made With Pink December 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Oh that is the neatest cake ever! I love it! I did see that snow globe cake as well, what a good idea using rice Krispy treats. I LOVE that you chose pink for yours!

13 Amrita December 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm

This looks amazing! I really want to make it! But is it too sweet?
I generally like my rice krispy treats without any frosting since the marshmallows add enough. I want to try to make this but maybe with a darker chocolate-y frosting… although I do LOVE this cake and the frosting sounds delish!
And is it easy to cut? It doesnt crumble and break away everywhere?

14 Darla December 26, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Hi Amrita, Thank you!! I don’t typically like frosting on my rice krispy treats either. I love them just the way they are. Adding the frosting does make them a sweeter, but there’s so much that you can easily have a piece without frosting. In fact, that’s how I eat mine. ;) I cut a wedge out, then trim away the frosting on it.

As for cutting, it isn’t any messier than regular rice krispy treats. When adding a lot of color, I recommend using a little extra butter to keep the mixture pliable as you stir. It will also prevent the krispies from becoming seriously hard. I hope this is helpful!

15 Hollie P December 26, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I love this cake not because its beautiful, which it is, but because it is Harry Potter themed! I love HP and I love your blog and its continued HP themed posts! I can’t wait to try this one!

16 Renee January 1, 2012 at 12:59 am

Awesome cake. I love the snitches. Of course, if this WERE made at Hogwarts, it would be done by house elves. I don’t know if they get cake decorating lessons or if they’re just magically gifted with food presentation abilities. Don’t think there’s anything in the text to indicate. ;) I hope you all had a great marathon!