Friday, March 16, 2012

Guest Post: Confessions of a Cookbook Queen Makes Chocolate Frogs!

As you know, I’m totally homeless at the moment, and all of my belongings are out there in the great moving unknown, so my kitchen happenings aren’t…well…happening. I’m blessed to have some of the best blogging friends a baker could ask for, though, and they have been gracious enough to help a girl out in her time of need. Over the next month or so, I’ll be sharing guest posts from each of them, and boy-oh-boy, do these ladies know their way around some sugar.

For Bakingdom’s very first guest post ever, I have a huge treat for you guys today! I am thrilled to introduce you to Kristan from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen (Kristan is also one half of the girly genius behind That’s What We Said). Kristan’s blog is seriously a sugar heaven, and her creativity is astounding! I mean, have you seen these? Or these?? Plus, she is, without a doubt, one of the funniest people I’ve ever known (Hello?? Ryan Gosling, Food Blogger’s Husband?! Hilarious!). I literally cry with laughter when I read her blog. You’ll love it, too!

Thank you, Kristan, for guest posting today! I’m so lucky to have you here!

Hi Bakingdom readers!

I’m Kristan, the mom and displaced housewife behind the food and humor blog, Confessions of a Cookbook Queen.  I’m so so excited to be visiting today because I just love everything that Darla does.  Her food is art, and I always enjoy seeing how she translates Pop Culture into truly awesome desserts.

I know Darla loves Dr. Who and Star Trek, but when I think Bakingdom, I think Harry Potter. With that in mind, I decided that some Chocolate Frogs were in order today.

I mean, I realize that the Harry Potter series is over, but we have a whole generation of youngies that are going to need educated on all things Hogwarts. And these will be right up their alley.

Doesn’t everyone want to eat a chocolate frog from time to time?

Did you just say “no”?

Oh.

Well, I wasn’t talking to you, anyways.

But I decided that these frogs needed a fun surprise. I mean…chocolate is cool, but…

Chocolate with green goo is just a teensy bit cooler. And I thought it added a fun “Froggy” twist.

Wanna know how to make your own chocolate frogs?

Easy peasy.

You’ll need a Frog Candy Mold. There are lots of different ones out there, but I really loved THIS one. It’s good sized without being too big.

You’ll also need:

Chocolate Candy Melts or Almond Bark

Marshmallow Creme or Fluff

Green food coloring or food color gel

1. Melt Chocolate according to package directions. Put a good sized spoonful of melted chocolate in each mold. Using a brush, coat the mold thoroughly and place mold in the freezer for a few minutes.

2. While the mold is in the freezer, put your marshmallow creme in a bowl. Add a few drops of green color and stir until combined.

3. Remove candy mold from freezer and fill molds to just below the top with marshmallow creme. Cover with more melted chocolate and place back in the freezer until firm.

** A pound of chocolate candy coating and a 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme will make roughly 2 dozen chocolate frogs.

That’s it!!

Now you have your very own gooey frogs to eat. Which incidentally, is #237 on the list of Things I Never Thought I’d Say But Then I Became A Mom.

Thanks so much to Darla for having me today, and I hope to see you over on my blog!!

1 Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more March 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

so cute! I would love to make them with peppermint patty filling, then they would be minty green filled frogs;p

2 shelly (cookies and cups) March 16, 2012 at 8:39 am

My kiddos would love love love these!!

3 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 16, 2012 at 8:46 am

Aww so cute! Cookbook Queen always has such fabulous ideas.

4 Carrie's Creations March 16, 2012 at 8:52 am

Super cute! And tasty too I’m sure. Anything marshmallow = yum.

5 Renee March 16, 2012 at 10:03 am

Such cute frogs! Love them :)

6 Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie March 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

This is so fun! I love seeing those gold sixlets again! :) They are super cute.

7 Stephanie March 16, 2012 at 10:49 am

Those looks awesome! I have some chocolate molds sitting around.. going to try them with marshmallow fluff filling

8 Linds @ The MuffinTin Post March 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I can’t stop thinking how hilarious these are!

9 Lizy b March 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Everyone needs chocolate frogs!! These are great!

10 Becca - Cookie Jar Treats March 16, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Oh my goodness. I love the green “goo” coming out of the frogs. That is definitely a thing that would only happen in the magical world of Harry Potter. Now I feel the need to go out and buy a frog candy mold :D

11 Cindy March 17, 2012 at 5:53 am

Looks great. But am just a tidy little bit concerned about the “green food colorer” …How it’s made ?
Oh well i can still make it without it right ? White also looks cool.

12 Darla March 18, 2012 at 8:36 am

Hi Cindy, You can buy all natural food coloring from companies such as India Tree. I’ve used them in the past, and they work great.

13 Laura March 17, 2012 at 8:15 am

So cute your frogs, have to try these for my kids. Awesome. The only problem I have I cant find these molds over here :-( shipping from U.S. is very expensive. Anybody traveling to Morocco or Germany? lol

14 Monique March 18, 2012 at 12:16 am

Mmm, those look great! I especially love the idea of a gooey center—it makes the frogs something more special than just pouring chocolate into a mold! I had seen another post on chocolate frogs before (http://www.fictionalfood.net/2012/01/honeydukes-chocolate-frogs/) where they make the box the frogs come in when you buy them (http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/098/7/b/Chocolate_Frog_Box_Design_by_Gaddia.png). I think combining this frog method with the making of the boxes who be fun, decilious, and a great party treat! All that is needed now are the collectable moving wizard cards–any idea how to make those? XD

15 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots March 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is great! Amen to educating the youngin’s on Harry Potter. These chocolate frogs are so precious! I’m loving the filling. I bet they are MUCH better than the ones you get at Harry Potter World. :D Great guest post Kristan!

16 sandie March 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

These are really cute. I bet the kiddies love them!

17 Nathalie March 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Ooo! Love that! I’m going to have to try that out sometime!!

18 Jade @ Maids March 19, 2012 at 12:42 am

wow so cute :x its not like harry potter , its my price charming hahas!
i want to take those chocolate frog it perfect for my chocolates CRAVINGS!! hihih
good post kristan, be back again :)

19 Edel March 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I recently organized a Harry Potter murder mystery party and I was going to make chocolate frogs for it but I didn’t have a mold but if I had seen this beforehand I would have bought one straight away to make these, they are so cool!!

20 Jesslie March 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

This is very creative! I never thought that this kind of creation can be made…This is really mouth-watering!

21 Margaret March 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm

The green slime inside adds to the feeling of actually eating a frog. I do not know why these chocolate frogs are so attractive to me considering that I am terrified of the real thing. I think they are great. Thank you for sharing.

22 danny March 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm

looks delish… i’ll be pinning this

23 Trexcy March 22, 2012 at 1:58 am

This Chocolate Frogs is very interesting, one thing that I love with cooking and baking is to discover new taste that I can share with my family… I am pretty sure that our day will gonna be more sweeter with this delicious recipe…

24 B June 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

I know this an old post, but does anyonw remember the HP chocolate frogs they used to sell at borders? They looked VERY similar to this and they had rice krispy inside… They also came with a cool wizard card like in the books :)

They look like this…