Friday, March 23, 2012

Guest Post: SprinkleBakes and Lovely Mochi

Well, I’m not homeless anymore (YAY!) , but my belongings are still out there in the great moving unknown, and my kitchen happenings still aren’t happening. I still have lots of beautiful blogging friends who are making guest appearances, though, and today I get to share one of my favorites with you.

Today, I’m so excited to introduce you to Heather from SprinkleBakes. Heather’s blog is one of the most beautiful, delicious places in all the land, and everything she touches turns to magic. Just look at this or this. And this. Oh, oh! And this! See? Beautiful. Delicious. Magical. Plus, she is a brand new blossoming author with what is sure to be a stunning book coming out in just a couple short months!! I’ve already pre-ordered mine. Check her out; you’ll be instantly inspired.

Thank you, Heather, for guest posting today! I’m so lucky to have you here!

Hi all!  I’m so happy to be Darla’s guest today.  The recipe I’m sharing is extra colorful, and I thought it would fit right in with the other colorful treats on Bakingdom.

Mochi.  When I first sampled a piece two years ago, I was struck by its angel-soft marshmallowy texture.  It was less sweet than I expected, and the flavor of the red bean filling was so unexpected! The next day I couldn’t get it out of my head, and now it’s become an all-out obsession of mine.  I love all kinds of mochi! If the adzuki red bean paste isn’t your cup of tea, wrap the mochi around pieces of fresh fruit, or even scoops of ice cream!

This version is so easy.  It’s made in the microwave!  I was surprised when they turned out just as soft as any I’ve purchased at the market. When making mochi, one thing is non-negotiable. Glutenous rice flour.

You must use it, and there are no substitutions.  This flour can easily be found at international markets, or online.

Mochi with
Red Bean Paste (Daifuku)

Adapted from Vegan Yum Yum

Yield: about 12 pieces

[click for printable version]

Note:  Make the filling first!

Filling:

1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
14 oz can Adzuki beans
1 tbsp.  vegetable oil
Pinch of salt

• In a small saucepan, heat water and sugar over high heat until boiling and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour into small heat-proof bowl; set aside.
  • Open the can of Adzuki beans and drain. Pour into the saucepan and mash with a fork. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar syrup and the oil. Return saucepan to medium heat and stir beans until thick and glossy. More of the sugar syrup can be added for extra sweetness.

Mochi:

1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cups water
2 drops red or green food coloring
1/2 cup cornstarch

• Combine the glutinous rice flour, sugar, water, and food coloring in a medium size microwave safe bowl. Using a rubber spatula, stir the mixture well until no lumps remain.Scrape away any excess liquid mochi mixture that may have been sloshed high on the sides of the bowl while stirring.
  • Lightly cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir well. Dough will very thick! Stir as best you can with a sturdy spatula. Re-cover and return to microwave; heat for 1 minute.
  • When dough begins to inflate while cooking, and then deflates with the microwave door is opened – it’s ready! If dough doesn’t inflate during the previous one minute of cooking time, microwave for 1 additional minute.
  • Remove the bowl from the microwave. Sprinkle a cutting board with half the cornstarch; scrape the hot dough onto the cornstarch and then pat the surface with cornstarch-coated hands. Stretch dough gently and use your hands to flatten it. Cut into 10-12 pieces. Place 1-2 tsp. of filling on a mochi piece and gently pinch the edges together to seal.

Note: I think these are best eaten the same day, but they can be kept fresh with plastic wrap and refrigeration.

1 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

Whoa! This is so unique! Awesome idea!

2 Rosa March 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

Great guest post! The mochi look perfect.

Cheers,

Rosa

3 christa morgenstern March 23, 2012 at 9:34 am

I love mochis. So far I had to travel to London to eat them. Now, thanks to you, I can try and make them myself. Thanks for sharing.
Greetz from Germany
Christa

4 heather March 23, 2012 at 9:36 am

Thanks for having me, Darla! It’s an honor. :)

5 Miss Mary March 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

Oh how sweet! Occasionally I’ll buy mochi from my local H-Mart; you now have me wondering what fresh mochi tastes like! I’ll definitely give this a go…and with their spring-like colors, they really will look great on the Easter dessert table.

6 Maria March 23, 2012 at 10:25 am

I love Mochi!!!! This is beautiful!! I love SprinkleBakes, can’t wait for her book!! And thank you Bakingdom; Darla, I love your blog and all your ideas and beautiful photos. What an inspiration!!
Warm Regards,
Maria

7 Tesei March 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Darla and Heather, I can’t believe my eyes, I looooove Mochi and I’ve been looking for the recipe all over the place. The closest I got was not very good, apparently it had several flaws because it never worked out. So when I read your post I could not belive it, specially where you say ” This version is so easy”. I can’t wait to try it myself, I hope mine look as nice as yours, thank you both much for sharing your time and work!!!

8 Crystal March 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I love mochi! And I normally only find it packaged at my local Asian food market. I love the flavored kind, especially Taro. Do you know how to flavor it? I’ve looked online for Taro flavoring, but I am only able to find taro bubble tea powder. Any advice?

9 Melissa February 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Taro is am asian vegetable similar which looks similar to a potato. You can find it in many international markets in the vegetable section. In indian supermarkets it might be sold as eddo or in caribbean markets you will see it as dasheen and in chinese markets as taro…I am actually of all 3 descent, so I was always a bit confused to what I was eating when I was younger =P

It is relatively easy to find!

If you want it as a paste you need: (1 cup of paste)
Taro 1 lb
Sugar 3 tablespoons
Water 3/4 cup
Honey 1 tablespoon
Butter, melted 1 tablespoon

1. Peel the Taro and boil it
2.While the Taro is boiling, combine the sugar, water, and honey in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and stir over medium low heat until the sugar is dissolved
3. Once the Taro is finish boiling, I would mash the taro with the back of a wooden spoon
4. Push the taro through a ricer/strainer so that all the lumps are gone. Gradually pour the melted butter over the taro while passing it through the ricer
5. Gradually add the syrup to the mashed taro in 3 additions, stirring well after each addition

This should be a semi sweet paste for you to make with your mochii

10 beetree March 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Amazing! I don’t know why, but the thought of making mochi at home never crossed my mind! Yours looks so good- I can’t WAIT to wrap it around some mango ice cream! Thanks for sharing! :)

11 Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking March 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I came here from Heather’s site. Fantastic blog, so pretty.

How did I not know what a Mochi is until now?! They’re so pretty and look delicious.

12 Nicole March 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I’m so thrilled to see a recipe for these! They are definitely a favorite treat for me and my husband. I’ll be filling mine with some ice cream like we had in Hawaii on our honeymoon. Thanks for the great recipe!

13 Hannah March 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Yay! I love this, thanks for sharing! :)

14 Becca March 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I’ve had mochi once (I believe it was chocolate) and it was so delicious. I think my favorite part is the outer coating.I culd probably eat and entire batch of that stuff :)

15 Katie March 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Is there an alternative to cover the bowl in the microwave instead of plastic wrap? The idea of microwaving plastic wrap makes me nervous. :\

16 heather March 28, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hmm, I don’t really know of one, Katie. Maybe if you had a pyrex bowl with a glass lid? I haven’t tried it though.

17 Paula March 24, 2012 at 2:05 am

Even if I miss your recipes, you have some good friends, they come here with the best they have at home!! :P

I love mochi, and these are soooooo beautiful with that colours, and made on microwave, we can’t ask for more!! I never has thought about making it at home, I’m too clumsy, but Heather makes it easy, so I’m going to save the recipe!! Have to try it!!

Sorry for my bad english :(

18 Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} March 24, 2012 at 5:27 am

I’ve never had Mochi before, but it looks so intriguing! I’d love to try it, especially with the red bean paste!

19 Sue March 24, 2012 at 6:56 am

Heather, You are always sharing such new and unique ideas. I will have to ty his treat. So pretty too!

20 Paula March 24, 2012 at 8:17 am

I never had adzuki beans and certainly didn’t know you could make such a lovely treat with them. So pretty and now I’m really curious as to how they taste.

21 Tatile March 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

When you say sugar, is it caster(superfine in the US apparently) or icing(confectioner’s)? I really like mochi, but don’t want to mess it up with the wrong form of sugar.

22 Emily March 24, 2012 at 6:57 pm

What a wonderfully unique idea! Love this and it turns out so beautifully. Will have to try these.

23 Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista March 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Oh, I’m impressed. These look surprisingly less difficult to make than I would have expected.

24 Agatha March 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Great post! :) Have you tried Mochi Ice Cream? It is really simple and fun to make. Just replace your bean paste filling with ice cream balls (any flavor). I tried making some, using vanilla ice cream and chopped fresh strawberries. Hope you try them next time! :)

Agatha

25 Andi March 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm

What great timing! My daughter will be making mochi this week for per presentation of her Japan report. She has to make 26 servings from this recipe (because silly Mom only bought one box of rice flour at the Asian market an hour away!)

You mention that you can refrigerate these. We have to make them on Wednesday for a Friday presentation. My daughter had read that they can get hard if refrigerated. Have you had this problem?

26 heather March 28, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Hi Andi!
Sorry for my tardy reply. You can refrigerate them, but they should be wrapped individually and then kept in an air-tight container in the fridge. They will get hard if they are not well covered. I would also let them come to room temperature before serving.

I hope this helps, and that I’m not too late with my answer!

27 sweetsugarbelle March 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm

This has me smiling ear to ear! I love mochi, in particular taro flavored, but I love bean paste also. IT never even occurred to me that they could be made at home! WOW WOW WOW!

28 Lora March 26, 2012 at 8:17 am

Beautiful pink and green deliciousness with an Asian twist. Love!

29 Lili March 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Wow, this really caught me off guard to see Mochi is such a healthy treat! I already have the adzuki beans and rice flour too (except I don’t think it’s glutenous rice flour, need to look for that). And I too pre-ordered Heather’s book and can’t wait to get my hands on it in May. She is amazing. ~Lili

30 Rosalie March 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I love Mochi!! Thanks for the recipe. Just wondering if I can steam them instead of using a microwave? Cuz believe it or not, I don’t own an microwave at home…

31 heather April 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

Hi Rosalie! Check out this recipe that is made in the oven.

Thanks for your question!

32 Katia March 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I don’t have a microwave, is there any other way to make this?? Love both blogs :)

33 heather April 7, 2012 at 7:23 am

Thanks Katia!
I’m just getting around to responding – sorry for the late reply. I’d like to point you in the direction of Krissy’s blog – she has a mochi recipe made in the oven.

Thanks for your question!

34 Jenna March 30, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hello! I was wondering if regular rice flour is the same as glutinous rice flour. My boyfriend is a glutard so I have all kinds of gluten free flour w/rice flour being one of them but I don’t recall it stating glutinous rice flour. Thanks for your help! I can’t wait to try this! I loooooove mochi!

35 heather April 7, 2012 at 7:20 am

Hi Jenna!
Sorry for my tardy response. Regular rice flour is not the same as glutinous rice flour – despite its name, glutinous rice flour has no gluten in it. It is also called Mochiko. Unfortunately, regular rice flour won’t work.

I hope this helps!

36 Jenna April 11, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thank you so much! I’m glad I didn’t try it w/reg rice flour and waste all those other ingrediants! lol Can’t wait to have a mochi party :)

37 Monique March 31, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Mmm, mochi! I love it so much! When I was in high school, I went to Japan for the first time as a part of a Sister City program. I had the chance to make savory mochi by pounding rice with a large wooden hammer—such a fun, interesting, and delicious experience! Then, when I was an undergrad, I did a year abroad in Tokyo, and one of the girls in my dormitory worked at a Japanese sweets shop at a department store—she would give me the leftover pieces every now at then. So delicious!

I can’t wait to try this myself! And maybe try making some filled with ice cream? After all, that was the preferred version my friends and I used to snack on during late study nights in college. ;) Thanks, Heather!

38 Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik April 2, 2012 at 6:29 am

Haven’t ever tried it, but have seen it pop up here and there! Thanks for the guest post :)

39 vogelstar April 8, 2012 at 5:44 am

I will be in Japan in 4 days and on my list of things to eat, are these little sweet dumplings. I’m on the hunt for Sakura flavoured ones. I just discovered your site and am very glad I did.

40 jamie June 5, 2012 at 6:47 am

hi Heather, i hope you would still see these emails even though it’s been over 2 months since your post. i found this page because of Pinterest! love this mochi recipe and want to try it but i’m wondering whether or not you would taste the corn starch that’s all around the mochi?

41 heather June 10, 2012 at 6:09 am

Hi Jamie,
You don’t really taste the cornstarch. If you have an aversion to it, I would suggest taking a dry pastry brush and brushing the excess off the surface of the mochi after you’ve filled and formed them.

Thanks!

42 frogcooke July 8, 2012 at 5:01 am

2/3c of water seems like not a lot… it was really crumbly when i tried mixing it. no sloshing at all. i had to add water to even get it a pastey consistancy. ive seen other recipes and it looks all liquidy… Saw one on youtube for the microwave method and that uses 1 1/4c water. With only 1c flour. I’m probably gonna have to add about that to get this to consistancy. But its also kind of warm and dry in my house.

43 Louisa September 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi, I tried out this recipe and to be honest it was kind of disastrous. I was lured in by the beautiful pictures but it did not work out well at all. 3-4 minutes is not even close to enough time to cook the dough, especially when you compare it to other recipes that require at least 20 minutes for steaming or baking. I was very disappointed and am currently trying to salvage it by steaming it. Not as good as the pictures make it out to be! Sorry!

44 Stephanie September 28, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hello :)!

Your pictures looked really good, so I tried out your recipe, but my results weren’t so great. I had to toss the dough because it tasted horrible :(. I followed your instructions, but my mixture turned out to be very dry before I put it in the microwave. I added a small splash of water, mixed it, and put it in the microwave for the time allotted. Then I put it in for the 2nd time, but it still didn’t improve.. Any ideas of what I did wrong? (I also tried making mochi with this recipe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iisOssAvc6c and that didn’t out too well either :[ )

-Stephanie

45 Jennifer December 14, 2012 at 1:23 am

Hello!

I’m seconding what Louisa and Stephanie have said about your recipe. Your ratio of water to the flour/sugar mixture is wrong – it should be somewhere in the range of 1-1/4 cups water to 1 1/2 cups flour and 3/4 cups sugar (or less if you prefer). The first time I tried making this I used 2/3 cups water like your recipe called for, and my dough before microwaving turned out like cookie dough, as opposed to the almost liquid that it should have been. Because of this I wasn’t able to roll it out thin enough and had difficulty wrapping it around the red bean paste.

46 Jeanne Timpson January 12, 2013 at 10:06 am

I had my first taste of mochi a few months ago while visiting Chinatown (in Boston). Now, I’ve never had occasion to sample heroin, but I’m VERY certain that heroin could learn a thing or 2 about addictive properties from red bean mochi. I cleaned out the shelf of the Chinese grocery store (10 boxes) on my last visit, & now they’re all gone. D: I found your recipe this week & am going to give it a shot today (had to special order the flour, but I found a very accomodating supplier locally). Am a bit trepidatious after reading the posts of the 2 folks who had dismal results, but try I must. Wish me luck, must feed my addiction….

47 Jeanne Timpson January 13, 2013 at 12:00 am

We have a winner!!! Yippee!!! :D

48 Jeanne Timpson January 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

Made it a second time, I increased the sugar to 1/3 C, liked it even better. Also used tapioca flour instead of cornstarch, read that in some other recipe somewhere online. Lastly, since I was having trouble wrapping up the dough w/ filling (kept coming up w/ a big doughy glob where I pinched it all together) I decided to try it w/ my (hand) ravioli maker. Had a bit of trouble getting the dough stretched out over the ravioli form, but overall I was pleased w/ the results. Made 12 w/ the ravioli maker, had a bit of dough left over, enough to make 4 more by hand. So yummy good!!

49 Angelina May 21, 2013 at 1:37 am

Making mochi is a tradition from where I come from, and let’s just say I’m thankful not to have to drive miles to eat mochi! Just gotta drive an hour to my grandma’s and she always has a batch of mochi ready to serve, I’m going to try this myself and compare it with my grandma’s!

50 Emma November 8, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I’m planning on making this, i cant wait! although, i wanted to know if you can make the bean paste with http://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Traders-Adzuki-Beans-Lbs/dp/B007C7C4DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383920161&sr=8-1&keywords=can+adzuki since they are not canned. i believe then that they are dried, so is there anything i need to know if i’m to used dried adzuki beans for the filling?