Monday, March 5, 2012

Where in the World is Bakingdom? Winners

This is my ultra realistic, super accurate cookie version of the United States of America. The Cookie States of America, if you will. And obviously not all the states…just the continental ones. Whaddaya guys think?

*cricket cricket*

Your complete silence assures me that you are astounded by my mad cartography skills.

Alright, so my Cookie States of America isn’t so good (did you see how Virginia ended up over Ohio instead of down over North Carolina?), but you guys? You guys are good. Almost all of you guessed where my family and I are going on the very first try.

The vast majority of you guessed that we’re headed to the Pacific Northwest. AND YOU’RE RIGHT! :) To be more specific, we’re headed to Oregon, and we couldn’t be more excited!

The very first guess on my chocolate blackberry roulade was 100% right, so the winner of the Swerve Sweetener gift pack is TANYA!!

The same is true for my chocolate hazelnut cinnamon rolls. The very first guess was correct and JENN wins the $25 gift certificate to Nuts.com! YAY!

Congratulations, you two! I’ll be emailing you shortly to get shipping information.

Thanks to everyone for your guesses. I learned a lot about where blackberries and hazelnuts grow in the U.S. :)

My family and I start our road trip on Wednesday…sort of…

We’ll be taking some time staying a few places beforehand…our real road trip doesn’t technically start until March 13th, but I’ll be mostly away from the computer and kitchen starting on Wednesday.

I’m looking forward to sharing our trip with you guys, and I’m super excited to get to Oregon and get settled in. Thank you all for your support and understanding. I promise to try to keep things as interesting as possible around here until I can really get my hands covered in flour again. :)

xoxo,

Darla

1 Ashley March 5, 2012 at 11:24 am

How fun!!! We’re stationed in Oregon right now too, and it’s beautiful. You’ll probably be somewhere a little bit more happening than where we are (city-wise, I mean), but everywhere is gorgeous. So green! Lovely rocky beaches. And the weather has been nice lately. You’re going to love it! I’m so excited for you!

2 Debbie March 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

I kinda wish I were heading to Oregon. Just for a vacation, though. In particular, a vacation that involves blackberries and hazelnuts. Your cartography skills are heeps better than the folks (in China, I do believe) who painted the map of the United States on my daughter’s wooden puzzle. Somehow, my beloved Michigan does not look like a mitten, and the entire Upper Peninsula has been sucked up into Wisconsin. So kudos to you for getting that part right!

Good luck with your move! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

3 TANYA March 5, 2012 at 11:30 am

YAY!!! Thanks so much! I probably shouldn’t comment until I get the email but I did go back to the post and check to see if I was the first commenter. I’m so excited! And I made the chocolate blackberry roulade which even if mine was ugly looking it tasted AMAZING and seriously impressed my dinner guest! Thanks again!

4 Cyndy March 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

Travel safe Darla!!! I know you will keep us posted and entertained!!!

5 Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie March 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

Safe travels! I’ve heard Oregon is a wonderful place to live :)

6 SweetsugarBelle March 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I love the USA cookie!!! No crickets here! Be safe! Oregon sounds wonderful!

7 Jenn March 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

OMG! so excited for you all! You’re going to love love love it here :)

8 Becca from It's Yummilicious March 5, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Darla….sweetheart…. I ADORE you and your blog, but what did you do to my beloved Wisconsin?! You’ve squished Aaron Rodgers into Lake Michigan!!! <3

9 Darla March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Hahaha…I get it. Hence the clarification that it isn’t the best rendition. But I tried. :) At least I got all the states in there…mostly. Lol!

10 hawaii girl March 6, 2012 at 1:00 am

Not al the states! Don’t forget us here in Hawaii, or my friends in Alaska. The best part about adding the 49th and 50th states is more cookies!

11 Circe March 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Welcome to Oregon!!!

Currently the coast is very nice! The Willamette valley is rainy. If you don’t like the weather, wait a bit for it to change! :D

12 RobynR March 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Congrats to the winners! Enjoy Oregon Darla , , , safe travels.

13 Emily ~So Domesticated~ March 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Congrats to the winners! Have a safe and fun road trip!

14 Emily ~So Domesticated~ March 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm

P.S. Forgot to mention… the Coast Guard may be sending us there this summer, as well : )

15 sarah March 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Congrats! I used to live in Oregon and its gorgeous! In fact I’m actually hoping to go back there for college this coming fall :D

16 Darla March 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

That would be awesome!!!

17 sarah March 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Also – did you mean to call it a marionberry roulette the first day instead of blackberry? Because that was the giveaway for me…..

18 Darla March 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I did mean to…that was the main hint. I didn’t want to make it too tough. :)

19 sarah March 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm

That’s what I thought but I was curious and had to ask…anyways, have a great trip! .:)

20 Becca March 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

YAY ROAD TRIPS! Actually, I never much enjoyed moving, but that’s because they happened when I was little, and didn’t want to leave my friends and go to some new school and all that jazz. But as an adult, I guess moving could be fun :D

I like your cookies by the way. You did a better job at decorating them than I probably would have done. It took me about 6 times to pass the States and Capitals Test in the 4th grade :P

21 Emma March 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Uh oh. Maine looks like it’s still part of Massachusetts. That’s sure to get some folks riled up!

I’ll focus instead on wondering how wee li’l Vermont has chowed down on half of New York. Nice geography;)

22 pam ramirez March 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

well I was way off but really there is no navy base in hershey. but the idea of you living in a place that smells like chocolate……well… it would be fun right? it would be great if you went to diners across the country and took pics of pastry…I did that when I was on tour in the east very interesting and lots of fun. the best was the chocolate mouses’ mousse shaped like a mouse on some kinda cookie thing, any who welcome back !!!
pam ramirez

23 cluttercafe March 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Congrats on your move Darla! I lived in Oregon for awhile in my early 20′s. I went on my cross country trek from NH, with 3 friends and lots of coins for tolls. Oh yeah, and no map. We decided it would be more exciting to ask each toll attendant how to get there. It was definitely more exciting. You should have seen the look on some of the attendants’ faces. We stayed at friends’ homes along the way. Stopped to fly fish on the Snake River in Idaho (one of the most beautiful, serene places I’ve ever been) and spent the Summer picking mushrooms on Larch Mountain in Oregon and selling them to restauranteurs in Portland (for good money). The people are wonderful and their way of life is easy and healthy (compared to our fast pace here on the east coast).
Enjoy and take in the beauty. Have a safe trip. God Bless

24 Maria March 6, 2012 at 3:56 am

Wow! How exciting! Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Really looking forward to the treats you’ll have in store for us when you’re back in the land of the cyber zombies!

Maria xx

25 Tammie March 6, 2012 at 5:38 am

Darla, you and your blog are adorable! It always gives me a lift. I am moving to the northwest, too! Washington, not Oregon, but I’m so excited to see the other side of our great country. We’ll miss you til you’re blogging again. Happy trails.

26 Krissy's Creations March 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm

YAH! So excited for you and your family! Good luck on your journey :). And PS, I love your state cookies, your so brave and creative to even attempt them!

27 Chandra March 8, 2012 at 5:34 am

Congratulations to the winners. Such cute state cookies! Have a great move and enjoy the trip.

28 Erik March 15, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Congrats on the move. We’re native Oregonians, born and raised. It’s a great place to live, I hope you and your family really enjoy it here. Just remember: don’t try to pump your own gas! With spring just around the corner, you’ll get to see some beautiful flowers starting to bloom. I don’t know what part of the state you’ll be in, but round about April, if you are anywhere within driving distance of Woodburn, I highly recommend checking out the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival. We take our daughter every year. Acres and acres of some of the most beautiful flowers. Good food too.

29 Lior March 25, 2012 at 12:14 am

oh Darla, good luck in your travel. did i tell you i love your blog? (yes, 1000 times!!)
Lior :)