Thursday, April 5, 2012

Guest Post: Cookies and Cups Makes Strawberry Cookies!

I’m still working on getting my kitchen together, my KitchenAid mixer (and pretty much every other piece of my kitchen) is still weeks out, and I’m still looking for *my* grocery store, but I’ve been able to get back to cooking, and I’ve even been able to some baking! In fact, I made some brownies the other day that I think you guys are going to flip for!! But I still can’t do as much baking and blogging right now as I’d like to, so I’m super lucky to get to share another one of my beautiful blogging friends with you today!

I’m so excited to introduce you to Shelly from Cookies & Cups. Shelly’s blog is one of the most delicious places in all the interwebs, and she makes some of the most imaginative treats I’ve ever seen; they always sound incredibly yummy, in addition to being adorable and pretty. Just look at the things she has done with Bugles. And then there’s these. Oh, oh! And these are my favorite! Delicious.

Plus, Shelly is the other half of the geniusness behind That’s What WE Said. I’m pretty much obsessed with all the pretty fingernail treatments she does, and I get to meet her in real life this summer! I can’t wait! Would it be totally weird if I asked her to do my nails for me? Probably.

Check her out; you’ll be glad you did. You can thank me later.

Thank you, Shelly, for guest posting today! I’m so lucky to have you here!

Hey Darla lovers!

Hope you’re not too disappointed today that I am taking over her space!

I’m Shelly and my site is Cookies & Cups and Darla and I are internet friends…it’s totally not creepy.

I actually get to meet and hang out with Darla IN REAL LIFE in June. Cannot wait!

I love Darla’s site and am so happy that she asked me to take up residency here , if only for the day. It’s like being asked to sit at the cool kid’s table in junior high. I know it won’t last, someone will eventually put a “kick me” sign on my back and laugh me all the way back to dorkville, but in the meantime I am going to live it up. Like Ronald in Can’t Buy Me Love. Just don’t expect me to dance. I could SO not make the African Anteater Ritual happen.

Anyway, let’s get down to sweets.

I am not a fruit in my dessert kind of girl, but I am really trying to give it a fair shake. I have pretty much exhausted my way through the candy aisle, so…

I mean, I hear some of you people actually CRAVE it. So weird.

While there is not actually FRESH fruit in these sweet little cookies, there are strawberry preserves. Baby steps people!

Just mix up your batter…

Bake them on a lined baking sheet…

Dollop on some frosting and you’re done!

What you will have is a yummy, melt in your mouth cookie with a hint of fruity sweetness.

I topped mine with some coconut because I can’t leave well enough alone :)

Thanks so much for having me Darla!

Hope you’re getting settled in your new digs :)

Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies

• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
  • 2 Tbsp butter, room temp
  • 1- 2 teaspoons milk
  • *optional coconut for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. With you mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, preserves, milk and brown sugar together until smooth.
  3. With mixer on low, add in your flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until combined.
  4. On a parchment lined baking sheet rounded teaspoon sized balls about 2 inches apart.
  5. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges lightly brown.
  6. Remove from baking sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool.
  7. For frosting mix all ingredients together with mixer. If you prefer a stiffer frosting you can add in more powdered sugar.
  8. Frost cooled cookies and sprinkle with coconut if desired.

makes approximately 30 cookies

1 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots April 5, 2012 at 8:15 am

I have strawberries all OVER my brain right now. These are perfect! :D

2 Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more April 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

well yum! I am usually against fruit in my deserts, but you know, it could be worse right? I will take about anything with lots of sugar;p

3 Emily ~So Domesticated~ April 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

Love anything with strawberries…. these look fab!

4 Anna April 5, 2012 at 11:34 am

Mmm, these cookies sound delicious! So happy to see Shelly guest posting. She is hilarious!

5 Renee April 5, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I cannot believe Shelly made a Can’t Buy Me Love reference! Love it!

6 Ashlee April 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Ohhhh man…these look delish! These will be perfect for me to take to Easter lunch!! :)

7 Joanne April 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Umm you are TOTALLY a cool kid! You’re the one with the cookies everyone wants to trade for apple sticks. Duh. these sound amazing. As usual.

8 Becca - Cookie Jar Treats April 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’m with you on the whole fruit in my dessert thing- I don’t like it either. However, these cookies look very interesting :)

And I’ve seen your blog a few times around, I don’t think being at the “cool kids table” is a sham :D You deserve to be at the cool kids’ table, especially with the chocolate chip coobie bombe type thing. Boy does that look tastey!

9 Sue April 5, 2012 at 11:02 pm

These cookies sound great! Strawberries and cream cheese is an established winning combination! :)

10 Sugargirl April 5, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Oregonian tip: check out Food 4 Less they sometimes look like they are going to be ghetto, but they have a lot of things (like baking supplies, flour, sugar, ect.) in bulk, they get most of their produce fresh from local farmers and they have the best natural food selections at the best prices. They aren’t big on fancy amenities but they make up for that in savings. Also a local to Oregon chain is Fred Meyer’s. They have pretty much everything ever.

11 anickH April 6, 2012 at 1:14 am

so ironic because just 2 dayz ago i was blog browzing for strawberry cookies. im stoked that not only did i finally find a good recipe for it, but its posted on cookies&cups and BakingDom (2 of my top 5 favorite baking sites)

12 heather April 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Strawberries and cream cheese? Win win. Delish!

13 Tamara Jones April 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

These sound super tasty and I just HAVE to try them!

But… am I the only one having trouble viewing the images for this post? The first pic is fine, but no matter how much I reload I can’t see any of the others!

Photos or no, definitely gotta try these, though. The doctor’s always telling me I need more fruit in my fiet – might as well be strawberry preserve!

14 Tamara Jones April 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I don’t know if y’all changed anything, but the photos seem to be working now, so yay!

15 Laura April 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Like Renee, I loved the Can’t Buy Me Love reference! <3

Except for Darla's guest spot on What's In Your Purse, I'd never heard of Shelly before now. So, while the pictures were loading, I checked out her site. I have to say, these strawberry cookies look and sound amazing, but, I cannot lie, your Rolo Fudge Brownies may have stolen my heart.

Thanks Darla and Shelly!

16 Becs@Lay the table April 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Pink cookies are so cute!!