Perfectly Pinterest: April Showers Cake

If you follow me on Facebook, then you probably know that I’ve recently begun attending Zumba at my gym.

Here are some important factors to take into consideration before I go on:

I have little to no rhythm. Meaning that I can sing decently, but moving my feet, hips, and arms all at the same time in some coordinated fashion is foreign to me. No matter how hard I try. The only dance I’m good at is the happy dance. Okay, and maybe the pee-pee dance, but I digress.

And.

I’m short. Actually, I’m pretty average height for a woman…but a little short. While this obviously has nothing to do with my ability to wriggle and shimmy my way to being a little healthier, it does have a huge impact on my ability to see the Zumba instructor. For now, I just try to move as much as I can and hope for the best.

Well, I attended my second Zumba session on Friday, and I was actually really excited. I had a lot of fun at my first session, even though I looked like a drowning person…without the water.

Before the class started, the instructor asked if there were any new comers. I figured since it was only my 2nd class, I should raise my hand. The girl next to me raised her hand, as well.

I asked, “You’ve never done Zumba before?”

“This is my very first time,” she replied.

Inside I was doing a little happy dance…with any luck, I wouldn’t be the only flailer today.

The music starts. People stop talking, and stand a little straighter (except the shorties, like me…we all leaned, looking around the taller people in front of us).

Soon, the instructor starts moving. I’m doing my best to keep up, based on the movements of those around me and the fast glimpses of the instructor in the mirror, when I noticed a lot of movement next to me.

“Poor thing,” I think. “She’s worse than me.” I stole a glance sideways…

Apparently, Miss Thang is a former Fly Girl, because she might as well have been teaching the class herself. She immediately picked up every move from the instructor, and proceeded to make me look like a chimpanzee doing a mating dance.

I slowly, subtly, worked my way back a row. I look bad enough without J. Lo next to me. I totally felt cheated.

But then they played Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy, and I had those moves down…proof that I’ll never be a salsa dancing hip hop queen.

When I got home, I made cotton candy. It made me feel a little better, so I made a cake, too. Then, I put the two together and smiled.

I may not be a good Zumba-er, but I know how to make a happy cake. :)

Via

I know I don’t usually post on Sundays, but I bought a cotton candy machine last week, and after trying it out for the first time, I was inspired.

I’ve had this pin on my Pinterest Inspiration Board for a really long time, and my first batch of cotton candy practically screamed that it wanted to be the cloud. The original inspiration is a craft tutorial for a rainy day mobile from minieco.co.uk and it’s so adorable.

For my yummy cake version, I decided to make raindrops out of candy melts, but you could also use fondant or plain frosting.

I put the raindrops on flat side out, but I think they would have been really cute with the shaped side out. They would have been more three dimensional that way, but I still love the way they look.

Since I was making this to be a happy cake, I threw some sprinkles into the cake batter to make it extra cheery (I just made a plain yellow cake with delish vanilla frosting, linked below).

Before I baked the cakes, the sprinkles looked nice and speckly in the batter, but…

…they all sank to the bottom while baking. At first I was super disappointed, but once I cut into the cake, I was actually thrilled with the results. I love how the colors sort of look like they’re running down the cake…like maybe the rain has melted them or something.

Inspiration for something can come from anywhere. If I had known when I bought my cotton candy machine that I would end up making myself such a sweet and happy cake, I would have bought it much sooner!

Happy Sunday, friends!

1 recipe Yellow Cake

1 recipe Vanilla Buttercream

Comments

1. Linda says

It’s ok. I have no dancing skills ever. I can do a kick butt John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever impression though…or at least I think I can.

2. Jolene says

My mom had mentioned awhile ago about how she wanted a cotton candy maker she saw at the kitchen outlet store. I had floated the idea by her that I could use the candy floss to decorate cupcakes…. Sadly, my mom decided not to purchase the machine, so I was stuck with a brilliant idea but no way to execute it. But I guess I wasn’t the only one with that brilliant idea! :)

3. Lee Ann says

I love your Zumba story! I do have rhythm and actually taught dance class for my instructor for a while but when I went to my first Zumba class oh me oh my I could not do it at all. I did get a few steps and I mean very few steps but wow. The end of the class came and I thought they would be hauling me out on a stretcher. Check out some Zumba on Youtube and learn some of the steps from Gina Grant she is an awesome instructor. Continue to go to Zumba because it is fun!
    Your cakes and other creations are so nice and the cotton candy…I am jealous I love that stuff. I heard that if you slightly coat in confectioners sugar whatever you are adding to your cake mix it won’t sink. Maybe worth a try to see if it works.

This looks absolutely spectacular! I love how the colors run down the cake layers (much like the colorful raindrops on the side of the cake)

And don’t worry about your dancing skills. I don’t have any and since I’m 5’2″ I also have trouble seeing instructors. I’m usually the kid in class wiggeling around trying to see about peoples heads. :P

5. Roxanne says

I love Zumba, even though I probably look like a chubby Kermit the way I flail!
    Any idea how to keep the sprinkles suspended in the batter? This looks adorable, but I’d love to see the speckled cake. =]

haha you’re brave for going to a class! My sis and I have confined ourselves to doing Zumba via Wii in our living room. We figure it’s safer… for other people, with our spaz-like dancing techniques and all.

7. kari says

How did you cut the cotton candy for the cake piece? my serving/cutting skills are worse than my baking, how do i get it to look nice/keep it together?

8. Laura says

This post made my friend and I laugh so hard! We do Zumba on the Kinect for Xbox in the living room; Zumba fitness fun minus the dance divas :)

This is such a sweet cake! I love getting inspiration from art and posters and quilts too! You made a really cute print into a super duper cute cake.

also: I want a cotton candy machine!

10. Rosa says

Good for you for going to Zumba! I can never go. Not after my first and only fiasco-of-an-attempt. Short of the Zumba instructor asking me not to come (which I know she wanted to, but was too nice to say it), I left mortified. I have two left feet. I cannot dance. Seriously. For my husband and my first dance at our wedding, we danced the waltz (after MONTHS of private tutoring, mind you) and I still almost tripped, if it weren’t for my husband’s strong grip! Thankfully, he doesn’t like to dance either! I find it ironic because I played drums (percussion) for band in school – you know, the instrument(s) that KEPT THE BEAT FOR THE BAND TO FOLLOW?!

And I heartily apologized to the two girls I managed to take down with me. I offered to bake them a cake or cookies. :-) No Zumba for me! At least not in public or where innocent (albeit, J-Lo or Beyonce-like women shouldn’t be considered THAT innocent) people could get hurt. :-)

Rock on, Darla!

11. Mallory says

If you mix the sprinkles with the dry ingredients first, then they won’t sink… I think. At least, that’s what people have told me to do with candy pieces and chocolate chips; something about coating the pieces with the dry ingredients makes them adhere to the wet ones differently. It’s worth trying… :)

HAHA……….Zoomba totally scares me! I’d go with you if we lived close…….you’d TOTALLY have someone worse than you by your side!
    But we’d SO have fun doing it!

13. Emilia says

I discovered the same thing with the sprinkles once when making cupcakes for the 4th of July. I like the way they look in this cake though.

14. Renn says

I totally get you on the Zumba experience. I add to that bad knees so when I saw an Aqua Zumba class at my gym I jumped on that. 1. the water helps negate the impact on knees (YAY less pain), 2. the water ADDS resistance (YAY twice the workout on muscles in the same time), and the best….3. Since most of my body is under the water, people can’t see my lack of coordination!
    It might also help with the height/sight problem. The instructor for us stays on the deck so she’s above and in front of us all so your not struggling to look through your classmates.

I do agree with all the concepts you’ve offered to your post. They’re very convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very quick for newbies. May just you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Trackbacks