Starting out fast paced with a move to the West coast, it slowed way down for the almost four months I had to wait for the Hubster to come home for good. Since then, though, it’s zoomed by.
The end of the year means, of course, that it’s time for the annual review of your favorite recipes here on Bakingdom.
Your Top Ten taught me a lot this year…
You guys really like brownies.
You also really like Doctor Who.
And Nutella is pretty high up there, too.
Also, I had a pre-Hostess shut down premonition. Freaky.
So, let’s get into your favorite ten posts from me this year, plus three honorable mentions that I had to share one more time.
Oh wait. But first… I have to, of course, acknowledge that my Homemade Butterbeer is still, by far, your favorite recipe of mine. Ever. And since no list of mine would be complete without at least one Harry Potter treat, obviously it must be included.
As for 2012, you guys picked some good ones…
10. Doctor Who: TARDIS Phone Case Tutorial – It makes me geeky little heart throb madly that you loved this as much as I did. I still have my phone dressed as the TARDIS. I don’t have the heart to change it…I just loved it way too much. And so, the pretty new pink phone wallet I got for Christmas has been collecting dust, because no matter how cute it is, I just can’t part with my glittery TARDIS.
9. Bacon-Hazelnut Buttermilk Cupcakes – These cupcakes were inspired by the first breakfast I had after moving to Oregon; a buttermilk waffle, speckled with candied bacon and topped with bourbon butter and amaretto maple syrup. It’s like it was begging to be made into a cupcake. This is, obviously, one of my most involved recipes, but I thought they were totally worth every bit of work that went into them. It looks like you guys did, too.
8. Homemade Meringue Candy Necklaces – I love that you love these. They were so sweet and fun to make, it feels great to know you all enjoyed them.
7. Espresso Mousse Brownies – These brownies. Oh, these brownies! I’m so happy they made the top ten. These are actually my second favorite recipe that I made all year. They were one of those recipes that I was all, “Hm. These sound good, I hope they work.” And then I was all, “Oh man! These are incredible, I hope EVERYBODY MAKES THEM.” Because everybody should. Because they’re incredible.
6. Homemade Twinkie Cupcakes – Apparently, I have become psychic. When I made these fluffy, sweet faux Twinkie cupcakes, I had no idea that they would end up becoming an homage to the end of an era. Seems I whipped these little babies up just in time to replace the gaping hole left in our collective sweet tooth by the closing of Hostess. RIP Twinkie.
5. Nutella Cream Pies – These fall into my top five for the year, so I love seeing them in your top five, as well. I have no shame about the fact that I adore Nutella. It’s not some bandwagon play for me to throw a little into a recipe. For me, it’s true love, and these, with Nutella in the cookies and the filling, were my first foray into the world of baking with Nutella. Hallelujah!
4. Cookie Cake Pops – Sugar cookies, filled with cake bite filling, sealed with candy, and covered with sprinkles? On a stick? No brainer. Plus, cute stampy designs. Yay!
3. Doctor Who: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Jello in a Jar (Jello Galaxies) - I think it goes without saying that I’m thrilled that you guys loved these so much. They were a simple little brainstorm I had one day while thinking of the Doctor’s return, and I wasn’t even sure they would work. They did. I was happy. You loved them. The end.
2. Nutella Pretzel Brownies – Nutella again! Woohoo! These brownies were inspired by by new favorite afternoon snack. Well, it was new at the time, now I have pretzels and Nutella on a regular basis. But add in the brownies (which are always my favorite dessert), and these can’t fail to please.
1. Rolo Brownie Trifles – Brownies again, because you all are geniuses. And Rolos. And caramel. And chocolate whipped cream. Of course you loved these…they have all the best stuff ever in them. These are, by far…very far, your favorite Bakingdom recipe of 2012. I have to say, excellent choice.
I have a few honorable mentions that I couldn’t leave out. I just couldn’t.
Mother’s Day Lemon Cupcakes – I’m including these sweet and simple cupcakes, because technically, they are your number ten favorite. The TARDIS phone case tutorial was your tenth favorite post, but these pretty lemon cupcakes, filled with sweet and tart lemon curd, and topped with lemon buttercream were your tenth favorite recipe.
Oatmeal-Pumpkin Spiced Maple Cream Pies – These little guys are here because they were hugely successful in real life. Everyone that tried one of these was in love, and I had more requests to remake them than anything else that I made over the Fall and Winter. They were easy, yummy, and popular, so they needed to be shared again.
Chai Cream – How could I not include this? It’s my favorite food that I ate this entire year. The. Entire. Year. I first had it at Walt Disney World’s Sanaa restaurant, and there was no way I could come home and not try to recreate it. It was only posted this month (December), so it didn’t have much of a chance to make the list, but it was very popular with you guys on Pinterest, and it was my favorite recipe all year. Of course it’s an honorable mention.
I could keep adding honorable mentions all day long, but that sort of isn’t honorable, so I thinking ending with my favorite recipe of the year is just right.
First, though, I must thank all of you for your visits, comments, questions, and, most importantly, your support this year! I’m truly blessed to have so many wonderful friends and readers, and I’m unbelievably grateful to you all. I can hardly wait to get started with good treats and yummy ideas for 2013.
Happy New Year!!