Friday, February 22, 2013

My Pink and Fluffy Birthday Tea Party

Pink and Fluffy Birthday Tea Party by ©BakingdomOhmigosh, I’m finally posting something new! You probably thought I was never going to blog again. Sorry. I took most of the week off and relaxed. Because … birthday. ;)

That being said, now I’m totally going to brag about the amazing, pink, fluffy, frilly, all out girly tea party that I threw myself on my birthday.

It was the best ever.

I learned something about myself on this, my 5th annual 29th birthday…

I’m actually a five year old.

I had a pink, fluffy, sugary tea party, filled with lacy doilies, stripey straws, and flowers and polka dots, for which I dressed up as a Gryffindor student, while wearing Mickey Mouse ears all day, and I got dolls and toys for gifts.

That’s right, I got three, yes THREE, Lalaloopsy dolls (two of which are full sized), an amazing Sonic Screwdriver, and a 16-inch tall Snow White doll. AND I got to go to the ballet. Which I guess is kind of grown up, even though I sat through the whole thing with eyes shining, like the little girl who always wanted to be a ballerina. :)

All these gifts from the Hubster, the kiddo, and my friend Tina. The only grown up gifts I got came from my sister.

Plus! Plus, Tina made me the most incredible Hogwarts Acceptance Letter Cookie in the history of ever. And my friend Heather made me the most perfect birthday cake a Firefly loving girly girl could ever ask for. The only thing that would have made it better is if it were here for my tea party! Do I have the best friends ever, or what?!

Like I said, I’m a five year old.

But I’m cool with that, because this birthday takes the cake (no pun intended) for birthdays. It was, without a doubt, the best birthday I’ve ever had. My boys were so sweet and generous to sit down to not one, but two girly tea parties with me (one int he early afternoon and a second after dinner, for cake and presents), where they enthusiastically participated in the enjoyment of tea (in the English style, of course), tart raspberry lemonade, and all of the sweeties and treaties I worked so hard on. I’m one super blessed lady.

Tea Party Birthday Decor by ©BakingdomBefore getting started on any recipes for my party, I had to first get the decorations up. My theme was pink and fluffy, but I added elements of light blue to the mix, as well. I hung sweet, lacy paper lanterns from the ceiling, a pretty paper pennant banner zigged and zagged across our dining room window, and the table itself was covered with white and lacy tablecloths and pink and white dishes and cake stands.

Tea Party Flowers by ©BakingdomI bought some surprisingly beautiful faux flowers at Michaels to display front and center on the table. I had hoped to find real flowers for the occasion, but they all tended towards darker, wintry or fall-ish flowers, so I was thrilled when I found these. And for the price, they were a much better value (only $12).

Washi Tape Candle Holders by ©BakingdomWhile I was at Michaels, I also snagged some inexpensive glass candle holders ($.99, each), and some pretty washi tape. I got a two pack (one roll was pink and white polka dots, above, the other was white with little pink roses, below) for $4.99. Admittedly a smidgen pricey, but totally worth it for my party. I wrapped each of the candle holders in one or both of the washi tapes to tie them into the pink, flowery theme.

Tea Party Washi Straws by-©BakingdomI also wrapped some of the washi tape around each of our straws. I used stripey straws from The TomKat Studio with my pretty glass milk bottles from Bake It Pretty (all resources are listed and linked below). We had homemade raspberry lemonade in the milk bottles, and it was wonderful.

Washi Tape Straw by ©BakingdomTo keep things a littlemore boy-ish for my guys, I gave them each blue stripey straws………but they still got pink washi tape flags. :)

Birthday Tea Party Place Setting ©BakingdomI kept my place settings nice and simple by sticking with clean, white or clear dishes and doilies.

White Chocolate Cameo Box by ©BakingdomOnce all the settings were placed, I added a small doily to each plate and topped them with some pink and white chocolate cameo boxes that I made.

White Chocolate Raspberry Cameo Box by ©BakingdomInside each of the chocolate boxes I put fresh raspberries. In case you haven’t picked up on it yet, the food theme of the day was raspberry. :)

So that’s the decor…how about we get into the sweeties?

White Rose MeringuesFirst up, I had to have some Chocolate Filled Raspberry Meringues. They’re one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever made, and they worked perfectly, both for the raspberry theme, and the tea party theme.

I made half of the meringues white, using this rose technique, then sprinkled them with soft blue disco dust.

Pink Rose MeringuesThe remaining meringues, I made soft pink, sprinkled with silver disco dust and stars.

Chocolate Raspberry Rose Meringues by ©BakingdomAside from the rose shaped meringues, I also made some standard meringue kisses. They looked beautiful and shabby chic all piled together in a ruffled bowl.

Tea Tag Shortbread by ©BakingdomNext up, I made sweet and simple tea tag shaped shortbread cookies, iced with raspberry glaze.

Tea Tag Shortbread Cookies by ©BakingdomI tinted some of the glaze light blue and personalized the cookies with “D” for Darla and little hearts.

Tea Party Macarons ©BakingdomOnce they were set up, my tea tag cookies joined some delicious macarons that the Hubster picked up from Ken’s Artisan Bakery up in Portland.

Ribbon Rose Birthday Cake by ©BakingdomOf course, there had to be cake. I kept things simple and shabby chic with a sweet pink cake, decorated with a few ribbon roses, some silvery dragees, and a pretty pink candelabra candle.

Raspberry Cupcakes by ©BakingdomThen came some mini raspberry cupcakes, topped with whipped raspberry buttercream and fresh raspberries (recipe coming soon).

Birthday Tea Petit Fours ©BakingdomLast, but definitely not least, the Hubster picked up these beautiful petit fours for me while he was up in Portland. They came from the sweet Helen Bernhard Bakery and they were divine!

Tea Party Sweeties by ©BakingdomJust look at the pink and sugary, you guys! This was the most wonderful, girly, happy, and even geeky (thanks to my Gryffindor get-up) birthday tea any five year old in a grown woman’s body ever had! I hope you all had fun hearing about it. :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Supplies:

Cake stands – TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Amazon, and Michaels
Birdy cupcake stands – Whitney Smith Pottery on Etsy
Ruffled plate – TJ Maxx
Lacy plates, plain white plates – Pier 1 Imports
Milk Bottles, pennant banner, cupcake papers, birthday candle, cameo box chocolate moldBake It Pretty
Stripey straws – The TomKat Studio
Round and square doilies, white porcelain tea spoons – Sur la Table
Washi tape, candle holders, paper lanterns, flowers – Michaels
Silver bowl (holding the flowers) – Pottery Barn
Glass tea cups – Amazon

Recipes:

Homemade Raspberry Lemonade
Chocolate Filled Raspberry Meringues
Tea Tag Shortbread Cookies with Raspberry Glaze (substitute raspberry extract for lemon in the glaze)
Raspberry Cream Brownie Cake (substitute raspberry purée for the strawberry in the frosting)
Raspberry Cupcakes with Whipped Raspberry Buttercream – coming soon

Macarons - Ken’s Artisan Bakery, Portland, Oregon
Petit Fours - Helen Bernhard Bakery, Portland, Oregon

Birthday Tea Collage ©Bakingdom

1 Malina February 22, 2013 at 1:16 pm

oh my gosh, this is just amazing

2 Vicki February 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

That is the most amazingly beautiful and wonderful birthday tea I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing! Horribly jealous!

3 CJ February 22, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Awesome party and set up. I want a birthday like that, I might just have to steal your ideas.

4 PeggyF February 22, 2013 at 2:04 pm

This entire post makes me happy! Squeeeeeeee! I love all of the little details; I do that kind of thing for my daughters, but never on my own birthday – I’ve always thought that I might feel silly going all out just for me – but now I see that I was completely wrong. My next annual 29th birthday (so glad that I’m not the only one who has several 29ths) will be superb!

Btw, my 4 year old loved the plate of treats! She said the pink meringue rose and the cupcake were her favorites. :)

5 sara February 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm

So pretty! I love all the pink. :)

6 Heather February 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Holy amazingness, Darla! I feel like making a pin board called “Darla’s Birthday” and pinning every single picture – it’s all so beautiful. I kind of want to cry though, because I’m not your neighbor. I’d totally crash this!

7 Darla February 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm

You wouldn’t have to crash it, Heather! If you were my neighbor, you would have been invited!! :)

8 Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} February 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Wow, wow and WOW! Everything looks absolutely beautiful, amazing and stunning (yes, 3 words that pretty much mean the same thing!) ;)

Even us Brit’s don’t have a English tea party as good as this!

9 Glory/ Glorious Treats February 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Just so pretty, and fluffy, and sweet and pink!! Everything looks lovely! So glad you had such a wonderful celebration!

10 Amanda February 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm

The decorations are beautiful and the sweets look absolutely amazing. Very pretty.

11 hani@haniela's February 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm

So beautiful! Everything looks so dreamy and pink!

12 Shelan February 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm

As soon as I saw the first picture, I was like, this is gonna be good! Your party looks amazing! So many sweet treats, all which look absolutely amazing. Happy birthday! :)

13 Debbie (Sweet Creations by Debbie) February 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I have a sonic screwdriver too! My husband got it fr me for my birthday last year.

14 Debbie (Sweet Creations by Debbie) February 22, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Oh, and happy belated birthday!

15 Julie February 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Darla, everything is SO beautiful and perfect! A dream tea party for sure–so jealous I don’t have your eye for style or your talent for baking. Thanks for sharing your wonderful gifts with us.

16 Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers February 22, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I love, love, love it. Only thing that woulda made it better was if I was there to celebrate with you :(

Distance is dumb.

17 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. February 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This is amazing and beautiful and so much fun! I love it all!

18 Wishy Washi Tape February 23, 2013 at 7:18 am

I don’t even know where to start with how pretty everything is…definitely pinning you!

19 Amanda February 23, 2013 at 10:53 am

Beautiful Darla!! I would’ve loved to have been at this fun birthday party!! :) I love Ken’s Artisan Bakery macarons, they are the best!! :)

20 Kathy February 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

You are so blessed to have such loving family and friends! A beautiful birthday for a beautiful girl!

21 Vicki @ WITK February 23, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Umm, can you cater my next birthday? I love all the pink and the pretty desserts and treats! And you got a Sonic screwdriver? You’ll be all set for the second half of this season of Doctor Who :)

22 Michelle February 23, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Adorable and sweet and frilly and so much fun! Happy Birthday Darla!

23 Lior February 23, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Happy birthday dear Darla!!!
this is the most awesome party ever!

24 Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) February 24, 2013 at 6:42 am

This party is super cute!!! I would love to have a party like this for myself to be perfectly honest.

25 Becca from Cookie Jar Treats February 24, 2013 at 8:58 am

Everything looks so adorable and girly and beautiful! Happy Birthday, Darla :)

26 Gemma February 24, 2013 at 3:45 pm

That’s the most cute and wonderful birthday party I’ve ever seen! Everything looks so precious, elegantly pink and girly! :-)
Can’t pick just one picture or just one sweet treat, I like EVERYTHING. Happy Birthday!!!

27 Ella February 25, 2013 at 5:26 am

Ooh what a cuuute party! So fluffy and sweet. I love it! I would have loved to be there <3

28 Leslie February 25, 2013 at 5:36 am

Happy Happy Birthday Girl!!!! Beautiful party!

29 Jill @ Sincerely Jill February 25, 2013 at 7:30 am

Happy Birthday Darla. What a perfectly pink party! It makes me think of the “Think Pink” song and dance number in Funny Face in a great, great way.

30 shelly (cookies and cups) February 25, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Glad you had a great birthday! Everything is gorgeous!

31 Tasha February 26, 2013 at 4:04 am

SWOON!
Happy Birthday!

32 Cookbook Queen February 26, 2013 at 4:41 am

Happy belated birthday, sweet friend!! Everything is just gorgeous and so creative…I love the cake!! And those washi tape candle holders…what a great idea!!

33 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots February 26, 2013 at 5:49 am

What a beautiful party Darla! You are SO talented. I hope you had a spectacular birthday!

34 Jessica February 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I just have to ask, which LaLaloopsies did you get? I have two little girls that have a couple dozen of the minis and a few full size ones. They love them! They also make them houses out of Duplos and Legos. The oldest would also love the Kaylee dress cake, she loves pink and her middle name is Kaylee. And yes, because of Firefly.

35 Jessica February 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Oh, also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

36 Nancy @ gottagetbaked March 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Happy belated birthday! Can you come and decorate for all of my parties? This is simply divine – every detail is so well thought out and absolutely lovely. It’s a dream come true for ladies of all ages. And the sweets – wow! Everything looks delicious and perfect. Thanks for linking up the suppliers of your beautiful dishware. You’re inspiring me to get some new foodie props.

37 Shana March 8, 2013 at 8:01 pm

For the rose shaped meringues did you have to chill the mix?
mine just turned out like lumpy little messes =_=

38 Darla July 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

No, You should be able to pipe them as soon as they’re mixed up. Be sure to use a glass or metal bowl for mixing the meringue, and don’t use a reuasble piping bag. Anything that you can’t get 100% grease-proofed will cause your meringues to fall.

39 Not Just A Mommy April 19, 2013 at 7:24 am

I’m so glad I found your party, I’m having a tea party for my own birthday in May and since I only have boys, this is one of my few chances to be girly and frilly! I love your flower centerpieces, I’ve been debating about using real vs artificial and I didn’t even realize they were until you mentioned them and then I had to look back again. They and the whole setup is gorgeous!

40 Shelly June 14, 2013 at 4:23 am

What raspberry cupcake recipe did you use? It looks amazing!!!!