Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Birthday, Ron Weasley!

Weasley is Our King Cookies by ©Bakingdom

Did you know that today is Ron Weasley’s birthday? Did you also know that Ron is my favorite character of the Trio?

He is. I love him. He is my Wheezey.

No, he’s not perfect. Yes, he can be a bit spoiled and out of touch, but he’s also funny, adorable, and more loyal than he gets credit for.

Of all the Harry Potter treats I’ve made, I’ve never celebrate Won Won’s birthday, so when my friend Tina mentioned it, I knew I had to do something.

I figured there’s really only one way to celebrate Ron’s birthday…

A Weasley sweater. Of course. :)

I used my favorite rolled sugar cookie recipe for the cookies; easy peasy, and for the fondants, I used my homemade marshmallow fondant.

I decided to try a new technique that I read about on a clay forum for the sweaters.

I’m gonna put it out there now…I still need lots of practice to perfect it.

That being said, it’s not a difficult technique, and it’s super fun and amazing looking when finished.

Fondant KnittingTo start out, you need ropes of fondant. I used an extruder to create mine, but this isn’t such a delicate job that you couldn’t do it by hand. Once you have your fondant ready, wrap the pieces of fondant around each other to creates twisted ropes, and lay them side by side on top of a flat piece of rolled fondant.

To create the knitted look, twist the fondant ropes in opposite directions, so that when you lay them side by side, the create V shapes, like in knitting.

Shirt TemplateI used a small amount of water to glue the ropes of fondant down, then I used a sweater template to cut the shape out. This is far easier with a cookie cutter, but if you don’t have one, just use a template and take your time.

Fondant Sweater by ©BakingdomAnd voila!! A cute, sweet, tasty little knitted fondant sweater. Seriously. Cute.

I think once I’ve practiced this a couple more times, I’ll be able to get more delicate twists, making the “knit” finer and more realistic.

Weasley Sweater Cookies by ©BakingdomCut out a little R in the center, fill it with some yellow fondant, and you’ve got the cutest little fondant Weasley sweater cookie you ever did see.

Pretty worthy of Mrs. Weasley’s knitting skills, if I do say so myself. :)

Weasley is Our King Birthday Cookies by ©BakingdomI made some crown shaped Weasley is Our King cookies, and some bright orange W cookies, as well, because aside from Weasley sweaters, nothing says “Weasley” like orange and W. :)

Weasley is Our King Birthday Cake by ©BakingdomI also made my Wheezey a cake, because birthday. :) I kept it simple and homespun, because I think that’s exactly how Mrs. Weasley would have made her delicious cakes. Add a little banner on top, and you’ve got a cake fit for a king. ;)

Happy birthday, Won Won!

Recipes:

Rolled Sugar Cookies
Marshmallow Fondant
Yellow Birthday Cake
Chocolate Buttercream

For another fantastic and fun Ron Weasley birthday treat, stop by and see my friend Tina’s Weasley is Our King Cakes over at Sugar Bean Bakers.

Weasley Sweater Cookies by ©Bakingdom

1 Stephanie March 1, 2013 at 8:56 am

This is too adorable and so creative! I love it all!

2 Tanya March 1, 2013 at 9:12 am

I was unaware it was his birthday!! Happy Birthday Ron. Cute sweater treat!

3 Amanda March 1, 2013 at 9:16 am

Not sure who that is (will admitting that get me banned?)but your cookie and cake are SO adorable!!

4 Carolyn March 1, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love your Harry Potter themed treats so much!
Are you going to re-open your Etsy shop soon? I have a friend getting married who is a HP fan and I would love to get her a Gryffindor apron as a bridal shower gift!!!
Carolyn

5 Sarah March 1, 2013 at 9:46 am

That is so adorable! Happy birthday Ron!

6 Miss Overballe March 1, 2013 at 10:17 am

Brilliant :) Happy Birthday Ron, from a fellow ginger :)

7 Richa March 1, 2013 at 10:19 am

Happy Birthday Ron..!!

The sweater cookies are looking yummy and amazing.. You did a real hard work :)

Keep it up!

8 Jill @ Sincerely Jill March 1, 2013 at 10:26 am

OMG, this is so perfect! When I saw the name of the post I was wondering what you were thinking of doing, but the knitted sweater… bah, so perfect!

9 michelle March 1, 2013 at 10:27 am

haha, i love it all and that won won is your fav! (reading Order of the Phoenix now and of course can’t get Weasley is our King out of my head!). Forget Dr Seuss, happy birthday Ron!

10 Debbie Robbins March 1, 2013 at 10:49 am

Wow, very cool stuff,your sweaters are so precious!!
I totally enjoy your blog, your baking,recipes and photos.
And I love your fun #geekphotoaday challenge. Great stuff!!
SO glad that I found you 2 months ago!

Debbie R.
aka chanmansmom

11 Debbie Robbins March 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

Oh, forgot to ask in my post above….
Are you continuing geekphotoaday?
I couldn’t find prompts for March so just wondered.
Great birthday goodies today.Would love to see
Dr. Suess birthday celebration too. :)

12 Alvina March 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

SO CUTE! :) I would’ve never thought of making a sweater cookie with such detail, and you made it look easy! :)

I’ve had a lot of trouble pinning your posts — from the PIN button on the picture or as a separate pin. It didn’t work on your last post and I thought maybe it was a temp glitch but it didn’t work for this post either!

13 Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet March 1, 2013 at 11:24 am

I am not familiar with any of this but these are super cute cookies!! That sweater is awesome!

14 jaime March 1, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I absolutely love that sweater cookie. Adorable!!!

15 Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie March 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Those cookies are amazing! And I had no idea today was his birthday. Great day because it’s also peanut butter lover’s day

16 shelly (cookies and cups) March 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Darla, those cookies! They are really really gorgeous!!

17 Christina March 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I wish I could be there for the celebration. You are even more awesome than before. :) It’s always refreshing to see an other Harry Potter obsessive. (I got married on Harry’s birthday and every year I say, “Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday Harry!”)

18 Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers March 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Looooooooooooooooooooooooove.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove.

and yeah…

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove.

19 Elizabeth March 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Oh my goodness! These are so adorable! I love that you celebrated the occasion :)

20 Jenn @ Icing on the Cake March 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm

These are so amazing! My 21 year old sister loves you now. Ron was ALWAYS her favorite from the very beginning and she thought he was very misunderstood. It makes me happy to see that Harry Potter isn’t being swept under the rug now that the movies and everything are all finished! The cookies are absolutely adorable, and I think Mrs. Weasley would agree! I loved everything about this post!

21 Lizy b March 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm

these are just….I mean….totally….I can’t even…..ugh. I love them. Can I come and be your neighbor? Would you mind? I’ll just move my family in right next door and we can have birthday parties for all the Potters and Weasleys and Grangers and Dumbledores and dobbys….’k?

22 micupoftea March 2, 2013 at 1:50 am

Oh, how cute! LOVE how you gave texture to the ‘jumpers’ – brilliant! The recipes sound great/thanks for sharing. SO funny how everyone is different, isn’t it? Ron is our least fav character. HAPPY March~

23 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. March 2, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Um, I love this. So so much!

24 Becca from Cookie Jar Treats March 3, 2013 at 6:44 am

This is the most adorable thing in the world. Happy Birthday Ron. And yes, Ron is my favorite character too. He is just so adorkable and funny and just well….Ron :)

25 Natasha @ The Cake Merchant March 3, 2013 at 9:21 am

Ron is one of my favorites, too. I love that sweater cookie! So adorable!

26 Stephanie March 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm

What cute sweaters cookies!

27 Mike 'Cookie Man' D. March 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

OMG! Those are so cute! I love that little sweater. You gave me an idea for my next birthday party. Thanks for sharing!

28 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots March 7, 2013 at 4:02 am

I swear, you’re so creative! These are just too cute!