Thursday, July 4, 2013

Raspberry Chocolate Shortcake Trifle

Chocolate Raspberry Shortcake Trifles | ©BakingdomOkay, it’s Indpendence Day here in the States and all that, but I just have to vent about something.

Why, oh WHY do young adult lit author insist on subjecting us to the overdone, cliché love triangle?? I am so sick of reading YA books that feature a heroine who is so strong, and passionate, and capable…and completely disloyal and wishy-washy.

Okay, so sometimes, it makes sense. I mean, these girls are young. No matter how much we’d all love for it to be otherwise, true love rarely happens at 1b years old. Seriously, though, why is it so prevalent to have female, teenaged protagonists always falling into these situations where they must choose this boy or that boy for true happiness?? I’m so over it.

Rarely do you see this in YA fiction that has a male hero. He either has no need for a love interest to complete the plot, or heis fully committed to the one girl for him (who usually ends up having to pick him or someone else).

Women, even young women, are not so incapable of love and loyalty as that. I can only think of a few YA series that I’ve read that had a female protagonist, and DIDN’T have a love triangle. Enough is enough, YA authors. If these girls, young women, are as strong as they are in other aspects of their lives and character, tehn allow them to be strong enough to either A. succeed without the need for a boy to come along and be loved, or B. love one boy. Period.

Okay. Sorry. I just needed to get that off of my chest. *WHEW* I feel better. A little.

Since you guys sat through my little tirade here, how about some chocolate-raspberry-whipped-cream goodness? A shortcake in a bowl? Sounds like a plan to me.

When I planned these out, I new that I wanted to do a fun twist on a classic summertime treat for the Fourth this year, and change up strawberry shortcakes. I subbed in raspberries for the strawberries, because we have beautiful raspberry bushes in our backyard that yield huge, delicious berries all through July. Next, I decided to go with a chocolate shortcake, rather than the traditional vanilla, because really, chocolate and raspberries? No-brainer. Then, I put it all in a trifle bowl, so I could layer lots and lots of goodness in there. I think ahead like that. :)

Chocolate Raspberry Shortcakes Trifle | ©BakingdomThese are super duper incredibly simple. Just a few ingredients, and you can even use some store-bought goodies to save more time.

I used leftover chocolate scones for my trifles, but they’re also excellent with chocolate doughnuts, brownies, or chocolate poundcake.

Chocolate Raspberry Shortcake Trifle | ©BakingdomThis is a great spin on two classics; not only is it a new, delicious take on the trifle, but it’s also an exciting way to have shortcakes. If you make your scones from scratch, these only take about an hour (because of baking and cooling times), and can be made a day in advance. The scones can even be made several days in advance, and frozen until ready to use.

Perfect for summer! Enjoy!

Chocolate Raspberry Shortcake Trifle {Printable Version}
Makes 1 large trifle or 6 to 8 mini

Ingredients

4 cups raspberries, plus more for garnish
1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 recipe chocolate scones, cut into 1-inch squares (or any chocolate recipe such as chocolate shortcake, brownies, or doughnuts)
*To make this recipe even faster and easier, you can also use storebought chocolate cake, scones, or doughnuts.

1 recipe whipped cream

To make the raspberry purée: Purée 2 cups of raspberries with the sugar until smooth. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer set over a large bowl, and press the purée through the strainer, discard pulp and seeds. Add 1 cup of whole raspberries to the purée, and stir together, mashing the whole berries slightly. Gently stir in the remaining 1 cup of raspberries, being careful not to crush them. Taste, and add a splash of lemon juice, or more sugar, if desired.

Assemble the trifle(s): Layer the bottom of a trifle with 1/3 of the whipped cream, top with a generous, but level, layer of chocolate scone pieces, and spoon the 1/2 of the raspberry mixture over the scones. Next, add another 1/3 of the whipped cream, smoothing it to the edges, top with another level layer of chocolate scone pieces, and spoon the remaining 1/2 of the raspberry mixture over the scones. Top with the remaining whipped cream, smoothing it over the top, and garnish with a small handful of whole raspberries. (To make miniature trifles simply divide the ingredients on a smaller scale between 6 to 8 mini trifle cups.) Top with chocolate shavings, or other chocolate garnish, if desired.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Recipe by Darla

Delish Chocolate Raspberry Shortcake Trifle | ©Bakingdom

1 Renee @ Awesome on $20 July 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I am so with you on this silly love triangle nonsense. The reason it’s in everything is, alas, because it sells. I’m a huge fan of YA literature as well, but we’re not the target demographic of the publisher’s marketing department. Many 13 year old girls will spend money to read about a girl so popular she has two boys in love with her. I would have thought that was amazing when I was a young girl. We know that’s not necessarily what those girls should be getting from their books, though. I try to encourage my daughter to throw in some more self-assured female characters amongst her Pretty Little Liars. It works sometimes. I’m sure you’ve already thought of all this. Hermione forever! Oh, and the trifle is gorgeous. :)

2 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 4, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Amen! I’m soooo sick of the love triangles too!!! This trifle looks insanely delicious! LOVE!

3 Becca from Cookie Jar Treats July 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I agree with the love triangle concept. It’s getting very annoying. But I feel it is only most common in series/trilogies.

Happy 4th of July! These shortcake trifles re super cute, especially the chocolate star sprinkles :)

4 sara July 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I LOVE those star sprinkles, so cute! This looks delicious!
And, I agree about YA love triangles…super aggravating! I did recently read a couple of fun ones that do not have this problem (same author, but I can’t recall her name)…the titles are Revive and The Originals…both really creative, and no love triangles. :)

5 nessa July 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm

The author is Cat Patrick- loved those books so much!

6 Talia July 5, 2013 at 6:39 am

I agree with Renee, YA books are not designed for the woman who knows better! The triangles irritate me, but even more infuriating is the female character that falls in ‘insta-love’ with some random dude, and the only reason for the attraction is that the guy is “hot”. Even 13 year old me would’ve been annoyed by that.
This raspberry chocolate trifle looks AWESOME! And even simple enough that I can handle it!

7 Ashley July 5, 2013 at 6:45 am

I feel that way too. Have you read Divergent? No love triangle in sight, and very good. I can’t wait for the third to come out in October!

8 Kat July 5, 2013 at 6:56 am

I knooow! Even the Hunger Games has Katniss all wishy-washy: Oh no, I like Gale! Oh no, Peeta’s hot! Oh noooo, why am I so appealing!? I totally recommend the Gallagher Girl series, or the Heist Society. Their by the same author. These books have a slightly more humorous approach, but there is no love triangle.

9 Dani @ seehubbycook July 5, 2013 at 7:23 am

These look delicious!

And as for ranting, ARG!!!! I feel like you’re in my head. Have you read Eon and…the second book…oh shoot, now I can’t remember its name. But the main chic is all tough and cool in the first book and then completely falls apart into hormonal conniptions in the second! She went from being a total bad*** to being just plain frouffy. Ugh!!

Thank God for Hermione. She may not have been the MAIN character but dang it, she could teach other YA characters a thing or two!

10 Cecily July 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Your trifle looks great. I too am sick of teenage love triangles, they do not happen in real life. Whats really anoying is when readers creat them after reading a book that does not have them at all. It’s like they need it to feel satisfied with the book.

11 Emma July 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

If you haven’t, try the Muirwood series by Jeff Wheeler. One of the best heroines ever.

12 Sue July 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

Where did you get those little chocolate stars? They’re adorable.

13 Christina @ Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe July 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

You’re so cute! Loved this post. All I could think of the whole time was, “Twilight”…”Twilight”…”Twilight”.

14 Nessa July 6, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Why do people feel that a book can’t be good without a love triangle? I totally agree with you.
The trifles look insanely good!

15 Wendy July 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Trifle is so simple yet elegant! The raspberry and chocolate combination is a favorite of mine! With those adorable sprinkles these desserts are ready to party. :)

16 Asher July 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Oh my goodness! I have the same exact problem. I HATE love triangles! I mean honestly, it’s a completely lame plot device used to create conflict. It’s just lazy. Obviously there are books out there that have love triangles that are very well written…but a lot of them aren’t. Even as a younger reader I had a loathing for love triangles. You made a great point. If they are strong then make them strong enough to stick to their choices or just move on.

Ahem, on a less annoyed note. Where did you get those sprinkles? They are the perfect size!

17 Dawn July 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Have you tried Tamora Pierce? She has multiple series of books (after Harry Potter came out, she started writing much longer books too). Most feature a strong, young female protagonist. They all deal, at some point in the various series, with ‘love interest issues’, but it’s all from the point of view that it’s HER life and HER body and it’s her right (and responsibility) to choose. I own all of her books and have read through them several times!