Friday, March 7, 2014

Frozen Inspired Birthday Cake and Printable Banner

Easy Frozen Inspired Birthday Cake by BakingdomMy birthday was a couple of weeks ago, and I had grand (ok…mini-grand) plans for a Frozen themed party. A small Frozen themed party, but a party nonetheless.

It was just the Hubster and I, so I made a small cake (it looks large in the photo, but it’s actually a simple 6-inch and 4-inch tiered cake – the equivalent of a single double layer 8-inch cake), and hung some fun Arendelle themed decorations.

Anna Papercraft Cake Topper by BakingdomI kept the cake super simple: chocolate fudge flavored, decorated my favorite way – spreading on rich buttercream and leaving it all fluffy and swirly. I chose to make it in shades of magenta and blue to match Anna’s dress. As for the cake topper, I used a fantastic free papercraft from Spoonful.com.

To keep Anna standing neatly upright, and off of the frosting, which could cause her to stain, I used a straw. Her legs are hollow, so it was easy to simply push the straw into the cake, then put Anna on top, just above the top of the cake.

Frozen Inspired Printable Banner by BakingdomI also made myself a Frozen inspired banner to add to the theme. I was inspired by the gowns that Anna and Elsa wore to the coronation in the film, as well as various Frozen and Arendelle flowers that are based on traditional rosemaling from Norway.

Arendelle Castle Banner from BakingdomThe largest pennant from my banner is an image of Arendelle castle from Disney. I received a free download from Disney with various Arendelle travel posters, and I used the castle image from one to create this pennant.

Black Frozen Banner from BakingdomI loved the splashes of black that Disney used throughout the film in the princess’ gowns, and it was the perfect accent for my banner, as well.

Green Frozen Banners from BakingdomThese teal pennants are based directly off of the bodice of Elsa’s coronation gown.

Purple Frozen Inspired Banners from BakingdomThe fuchsia/magenta pennants have rosemale designs along the edge inspired by the skirt of Elsa’s coronation gown, as well as silhouettes of both Anna and Elsa at the coronation. These are probably my favorites – I’m a sucker for pretty cameo-style silhouettes. I created the silhouettes using stills of each of them from the film.

*I created a lighter version and a darker version of both the teal and the magenta pennants for more versatility. I used the lighter versions (which are what’s pictured in all of my images).

Printable Frozen Banner by BakingdomI’m thrilled with how my banner turned out, and I decided it was a keeper, so after my birthday, I kept it, and it’s now hanging above my desk in my office. :)

Frozen Anna Birthday Cake by BakingdomIf you have a little, or big, Frozen fan, and you want festive, but easy party ideas, I hope you’ll try these out. I adored my cake, and the banner was the perfect addition to my sweet and simple party.

Enjoy!

Print banners, high quality, on heavy, bright white paper. Print at 100%, do not scale.

Arendelle Castle Pennant
Black Arendelle Flower Pennant
Teal Rosemale Pennant, Light
Teal Rosemale Pennant, Dark
Fuchsia Silhouette Pennant, Light
Fuchsia Silhouette Pennant, Dark

1 Jenn @ Once Upon a Tier March 7, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I love it!! I made a cake with Olaf on it about a month ago and this banner would have gone great with it! Thanks for sharing, I will have to use it for future projects!

2 Bernadette March 8, 2014 at 12:34 am

Adorable little cake, Darla! I love your printouts!

3 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots March 8, 2014 at 1:26 am

Liam is officially obsessed with Frozen and we’ve only listened to the music. So good. This cake is just too cute! :D

4 IFeelCook March 9, 2014 at 5:28 pm

So cute!!

5 Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker March 12, 2014 at 12:35 am

I’ve never watched frozen but I love love love the colours of the cake. So cute

6 Chloe @ foodlikecake March 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm

The colors of the cake are beautiful and I love your pictures!

7 Nicole March 13, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I love it! Happy Birthday!

8 Marie March 25, 2014 at 11:30 pm

The cake and the banner are fabulous! Thanks for sharing. Do you mind my asking how you were able to get the free travel posters from Disney? I have been looking for those everywhere.

9 carissa April 17, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Anyway you can email me the banner images in a higher resolution? I would like to print it out without it looking pixelated. Thanks!

10 Darla May 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Carissa, if you use the links at the end of the post, it will take you to the high resolution images.

11 Abbey April 22, 2014 at 5:57 am

Thankyou so so so much for posting this! With the distinct lack of Frozen party supplies available in Sydney (AUS), you have made my week and Miss 3′s 4th birthday!! THANKYOU!!

12 Ciara April 30, 2014 at 11:10 am

This is brilliant. My little girl will love this!

13 wendy May 2, 2014 at 5:36 pm

What kind of paper did use for the banner? Could i use scrapbook paper?

14 Darla May 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Any bright white paper will work. :)

15 Maria May 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi! I’m trying to find the link to download it however I cannot find it? Help

16 Darla May 20, 2014 at 10:45 pm

The download links are at the bottom of the page. This will open a new page with each item linked individually. When you click each item, it will open in a new tab. You must either print from there, or save.

17 Yoshiki July 26, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Where is page 2 of 2 ?

18 Darla July 31, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I’m not sure what you’re asking for. All of the images print out as single page images.

19 Lauren September 12, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I love this! My paper dolls did NOT turn out as good as yours but they’ll work :)
Also, a huge fan of the banner- thanks so much! My son and step-daughter are having a joint Frozen-themed party this month and I love a banner. THis one’s perfect! Quick question: what did you use to hang it with? Ribbon or thread or what? I’m struggling with what to use.

20 Darla September 19, 2014 at 11:38 am

Thanks! I used baker’s twine for my banner. I just glued the pieces directly to the string, allowed them to dry completely, and hung as usual. :)

21 Lindsey September 24, 2014 at 1:46 am

Thank you so much! The banner is gorgeous! And I love the cake! Thank you for making it free!

22 Camille October 1, 2014 at 8:08 pm

In planning my daughter’s birthday party, I’ve been getting carried away. There are so many over the top ideas out there getting me all excited. I stumbled across this and realized you are just my style. I love the simple elegance of the cake and banner. I’m scrapping my other cake idea and going with this. Thank you for sharing and reminding me to keep things simple!

23 Alex October 6, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Just wanted to say that your cake completely inspired me and I used your idea of the Anna (and Elsa) cut out paper dolls on my daughter´s cake. It was a real hit at her birthday party. I am so glad that you shared this because everything else I saw posted was either too expensive or too complicated (for me at least!)