The book is a Glorious Layered Desserts, and it’s the best idea ever, because layered desserts have it all. Seriously, you get layers of goodies. Usually there’s something like ice cream or pudding, then you get the treat of cake, brownies, or cookies, and lastly, there’s almost always whipped cream. Not to mention sprinkles, candy, or other goodies. For real. Genius.
My friend Glory, of Glorious Treats, is the smarty pants behind this book, but she didn’t need a whole book to prove her brilliance – just visit her blog, and you’ll be inspired ’till the cows come home. Really really.
As I paged through Glory’s book, I didn’t struggle at all to decide what recipe to make first. It had to be the Caramel Brownie Trifle. I mean, chocolate, brownies, whipped cream, and caramel? No-brainer.
That said, the book is chock-full of gorgeous photos and user-friendly recipes, so after I made these brownie trifles, I agonized over what to make next. Fortunately, I’ve got lots of time, so I’ve been having fun trying lots of the other recipes.
My very favorite thing about Glory’s book is that it’s not just recipes, it’s ideas. It’s full of layered dessert ideas that Glory provides all of the recipes for, but if you’re short on time, or find anything intimidating, many of the great layered desserts in the book can be made using pre-made and store-bought ingredients. I love that it’s customizable to each person’s skill level!
As for this recipe, it’s incredibly delicious. I made it twice. The first time, using Glory’s fantastic recipes, and the second time, I tried out some of my own recipes as a substitution.
Yes. That’s right. I made this entire recipe, from start to finish, two separate times…for just two people. And we enjoyed every last bite. Sorry, not sorry. You won’t be either. But before you get cooking, don’t forget to enter below to win a signed copy of Glorious Layered Desserts!
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe brownies
- 1 recipe salted caramel sauce
- 3 to 4 toffee candy bars, such as Heath OR sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, or other candy
- To make the pudding: in a small bowl, whisk the sugar and corn starch together; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and chocolate. Heat over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted.
- Add the sugar mixture to the heated milk mixture, whisking vigorously until fully incorporated.
- Continue to cook, whisking often, until the mixture thickens.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for one minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove pan from heat, and stir in the butter and vanilla until combined.
- Continue slowly stirring for one minute or so, to help pudding cool.
- Can be served warm, or cool fully. To prevent a skin from forming on the surface, lay a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the pudding. Refrigerate to cool completely.
- To make the whipped cream: In a medium bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, whisk the cream and sugar together on high speed. Once peaks begin to form, add the vanilla and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Prepare brownies as directed.
- Prepare caramel sauce as directed.
- Assemble: add a layer of chocolate pudding on the bottom of the dish (or dishes). Add a layer of brownie pieces and top with a layer Os whipped cream. Sprinkle with candy and drizzle with caramel sauce. Repeat layering the ingredients until the dish is full.
And the winner is…
**Now… who wants their very own copy of Glory’s beautiful book?!** It’s easy! Just answer the following question in the comment section below: “What ingredient does your favorite layered dessert *have* to have?” There’s no wrong answer – it could be brownies (like me!), or ice cream…anything you love. I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with! Contest ends Tuesday, October 7th, 2014 at midnight EST, and you’re automatically entered to win with your comment! Want an extra chance to win? Just follow @Bakingdom on twitter and tweet, “I want to win a copy of @GloriousTreats’ beautiful book, Glorious Layered Desserts, from @bakingdom!” Once you’ve tweeted, return here and leave a comment saying you shared the tweet. Be sure to leave this as a separate comment; each comment is an entry. This giveaway is open to U.S. and International readers. The winner will be chosen randomly at www.random.org and announced Wednesday, October 8th, 2014. I will contact the winner, so don’t forget to add your email in the email section! **Comments are moderated, so if you’ve never commented before, it will take some time for your comment to appear!** Good luck with the giveaway!