I know that Guardians of the Galaxy has been out for awhile now, but these cookies have been on my mind for ages, and I finally got motivated and whipped them up. I don’t know why I waited do long…they took no time at all to make, and they turned out supah awesome!
Okay, so can we just talk about how cute Groot is for a second? Because he is seriously the cutest. Great big, bad ass, big-hearted hero Groot, and bitty little sapling, boogying baby Groot…..cute, cute, cute Groot.
These cookies are pretty dang cute, too, if I do say so myself. Like, totally cute, and surprisingly easy.
To make these, all I did was fit a piping bag with a small open star tip. You can use any size or style you like, as long as it creates a texture similar to the one shown. All I did to make each Groot was pipe an asymmetrical ‘u’ (one side higher than the other), then fill it in with another assynetrical ‘u’. Easy peasy.
For Groot’s yes, I made small indentations where I wanted the eyes to be, and for the mouth, I used a cleaned food coloring lid to impress a small smile shape.
After baking the cookies, while they’re still hot, press black sugar pearls into the eye indentations. By pressing them into the cookies slightly while they’re still hot, the pearls will stick in place.
Once the cookies are cooled, use a black food writer or black icing to draw a cute little grin in place.
The final touch was to brush the top of Groot’s head with green food coloring powder. You could also use Macha for this step, but it may not show quite as clearly.
I am Groot…I am cute!
These are SO easy. Like, really really. The cookies dough is quick and simple, and piping the Groot shapes took about 2 seconds per cookie. As for the decorating, it’s all very minimalistic. These would be a great addition to any superhero-themed party, and ready in no time at all. Plus, they taste amazing.
- 2½ cups (about 317 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, espresso, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add about half of the flour mixture, and stir until combined. Beat in the remaining flour mixture. Stir in the heavy cream until fully incorporated.
- Pipe onto prepared baking sheets using the directions from the post, leaving about an inch between the cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (for 3 to 4-inch cookies; smaller cookies only need 6 to 8 minutes). Transfer to a wire cooling rack, and allow to cool completely before serving.