Serves: 16 to 18 standard cupcakes
*These can easily be made vegan/dairy-free. I have made them vegan many times, and they turn out wonderfully. This recipe will also make 2 8-inch or 3 6-inch round cake layers.
- ½ cup (4 ounces or 125 ml) strong brewed coffee, hot
- ¾ cup (42 grams) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (4 ounces or 125 ml) warm milk (soy or almond milk for dairy-free)
- 1½ cups (191 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature (margarine for dairy-free)
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature (3/4 cup applesauce for dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, or a two cup measuring cup, stir the coffee and cocoa powder together until dissolved. Stir in the milk. Set aside until cooled to room temperature, or place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Once the cocoa/coffee mixture has cooled completely, preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 C). Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined; stir in the vanilla. Sprinkle ⅓ of the flour mixture over the bowl and mix until just combined. Add ½ of the chocolate mixture, mixing again until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour and chocolate mixtures, ending with flour. Mix only until flour is just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Place 3 tablespoons of batter in each cupcake liner. Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it. Allow to cool completely before frosting.