Soft Rolled Sugar Cookies
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 2 to 5 dozen, depending on thickness and cutter size
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture a little at a time until it is all mixed in thoroughly. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll the chilled dough out about ⅜-inch thick on a floured surface, and cut to desired shapes with cookie cutters. (For crunchier cookies, roll the dough out thinner before cutting.)
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges just barely begin to brown. Allow to cool before serving or decorating.